Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pumpkin Chili in the Slow Cooker




I pretty much think that pumpkin can be added to just about anything.  I find myself cooking things with pumpkin a lot lately. It's healthy, low calorie and delicious, so why not!


I love how the pumpkin thickened this chili up. You couldn't taste the pumpkin directly but it made a wonderfully tasty thick chili that I will for sure make again!





Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

1 lb. ground turkey
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp. garlic powder (or 3 cloves pressed garlic)
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Ancho chili powder
2 tsp. dried coriander
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. salt
Ground black pepper
2 - 4 oz. cans green chile peppers
3 beef bouillon cubes & about 1 cup water (or beef stock)
1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz.)
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained

Brown ground turkey.  Cook turkey with onions and peppers.  Add spices and cook for a few minutes.  Put mixture in crock pot.  Add beans, beef bouillon, pumpkin, diced tomatoes, and green chiles to crock pot.  I used about a cup of water with this. I just rinsed out the cans as I was adding them to the pot.  I like it pretty thick so I didn't add much.  Cook on low for about 7 - 9 hours or high for 4 - 6 hours. 

Total calories = 2337 calories
13 cups = 180 calories per cup



One Year Ago...











Maple Orange Chicken with Squash & Sweet Potatoes


This is linked with favorite pumpkin recipes! Check out Culinary Adventures for more pumpkin!




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

25 comments:

  1. Pumpkin is a miracle worker. I swear it makes everything taste better. Great chili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I have a pumpkin at home, waiting to be eaten... might give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what we are having for dinner tomorrow :)) Thanks for this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this does sound awesome. I bet the pumpkin gives it such awesome body! Sounds all warm and cozy to me ;) Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie this looks fantastic! I love the flavor profiles going on here!
    Are you still collecting recipes for the hot sauce??? i keep meanign to send it but i dont want to be late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin chili - hmm, looks like something I'd try. Do you get your pumpkin in a can?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That sounds delicious - and the stats are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the addition of pumpkin in this, I bet it does give the chili a great consistency!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been very interesting to see what you create with pumpkin, definitely outside of the pie shape box !

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such delicious-looking slow cooker recipes, I'm compiling a list to try for when I get a slow cooker - can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, this is fantastic. Pumpkin is stretched these days to be a really versatile recipe. If you have a moment, would you be willing to link this to Let's Do Brunch. For me, this would be a perfect lunch.

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/02/lets-do-brunch-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin is so versatile and you can sneak it in to so many dishes. Kids don't even know it! This was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you enjoyed the pumpkin chili!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbi,
    I went to a chili cook-off this fall and one contestant had pumpkin chili and I just loved it. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like cooking with pumpkin too. It is cold today so I will making this pumpkin chili. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read a lot of chili recipes that include pumpkin, but have never tried them myself. I may give this one a go....pumpkin really is so healthy and now that its readily available again, why not? thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Who would have thought to put pumkin in chili, but why not. Love this combination of ingredients.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. My friend actually just made this for us the other day. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh debbie...this looks amazing...the addition of pumpkin is so smart! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree... I can't think of anything, sweet or savory, that can't be aided with the addition of some pumpkin. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh boy, this one looks really good. And we just got a slow cooker for christmas we haven't taken out of the box yet!!
    thanks for the incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM!! I love how you are thinking out of the box with the use of pumpkin. You have brought a whole new light to my world of cooking!! Thank you!! It is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made a tweaked version of this tonight, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing!!! It was delicious!

    If you want to know the things I changed, I posted the recipe here...

    http://thatwitchistrue.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-was-going-to-write-something.html

    ... linking back to you, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yum, this looks and sounds delicious! I have never heard of adding pumpkin to a chili, but it looks like it works! I also like my chili really thick, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks hearty and delicious--especially with the sprinkle of cheese on top. ;-) Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete