Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Shepherds Pie

I think shepherds pie is fun to make. 

It's not something that I ever had growing up.

I did however love to play with my food.

We always had our potatoes on the side.  Nothing wrong with that but I find it fun, to put them on top of your food. 

On purpose.

I feel like I got to "play with my food" when I made this. 

It certainly helped that it was positively delicious too!  I think the original recipe called for blue cheese crumbles instead of ranch and mozzarella but we're not blue cheese people here. 

The ranch and mozzarella worked perfect and it was quite tasty!

This is my submission to BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient. I am hosting this week and this weeks ingredient is hot sauce/buffalo sauce. 

So email me any of your recipes that have buffalo sauce or hot sauce in them.  I will be posting a round up on Sunday night. Just leave a link in your post to this blog and the BSI rules.  ANY recipe is fine, even if it is an old one, it doesn't have to be posted this week.  Email me at crabbymomofthree at comcast dot net or leave it in this post. 

Buffalo Chicken Shepherds Pie Recipe
Adapted from Once A Month Mom

2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1 tbsp. oil (I used bacon grease)
3 stalks celery, diced (6 oz)
2 carrots, diced (6 oz)
1 large onion, diced (12 oz)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce (I used Franks)
1/4 cup ranch dressing, light
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, part skim, shredded
6 potatoes (I used 3 lbs.)
1/2 cup sour cream, light

Cook chicken with salt and pepper.  Remove and dice or shred.  In same pan, combine celery, carrots and onion with oil and saute for 6 - 8 minutes. Add garlic. Saute for a couple more minutes.  Add chicken, cherry tomatoes, paprika and more salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and buffalo wing sauce.  Stir to combine.  Reduce heat and simmer. 

Boil potatoes until done.  Mash and combine with 1/2 cup sour cream.  Set aside.

Pour the chicken mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Add the ranch to the top and the mozzarella cheese. (you can use blue cheese instead of ranch and mozzarella if you like).  Spoon the potatoes on top of chicken mixture.  Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes. 

Total calories = 3699 calories
8 servings = 462 calories per serving

Buffalo Chicken Shepherds Pie = 462 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...

Chicken Pasta Salad

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
What's On Your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Superbowl Food at Life as Mom
This Weeks Craving: Potato at Delightful Country Cookin'

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. Ok, I have got to admit that this one looks very tasty!! Cant wait to try it!!

  2. I love shepherds pie too, and I love this twist....now to vegetarianize it...hmmm.

  3. This one looks great, my kids would love it!

  4. Sounds lovely, and I saved it away for next week's dinner plan. However, I keep wondering about some of the "ready to use" ingredients, like the Buffalo Wing Sauce. We don't have that kind of stuff here (or I wouldn't know its name if I saw it at the store), so I guess I will have to come up with something that sounds as if it might taste right...

  5. love to make shepherds pie always a family pleaser here I love the idea of the spiced up chicken with it I think my family will love it as well

  6. Like you I love shepherd pie; this original recipe looks and sounds so good. A keeper and it's one I can prepare ahead of time; my favourite way to cook.

  7. I never had this growing up either. The only casserole type dish that we had while I was growing up was tuna noodle and that was it. I will have to give this a try.

  8. Anything that says Buffalo Chicken gets my attention. What a creative recipe! It sounds fantastic. Definitely bookmarking this.

  9. I like when you play with food. This sounds like an incredible recipe.

  10. Wow, this looks yummy, thanks!

  11. I love shepherd's pie, and your version looks FANTASTIC. Thanks so much for sharing another winning recipe!!

  12. Well. I absolutely adore the way you think! I love finding new uses for buffalo chicken...that spicy flavor gets under my skin like no other!

  13. This looks delicious! Hot sauce makes everything better, doesn't it?!

  14. Yum!! I finally got to take some pics of my buffalo sauce creation. I'll post tomorrow for BSI!

  15. What a great recipe. I love shepherds pie, but have a hard time eating it because of the ground beef. And my daughter used to not eat anything with sauce or mixed with anything. I want to try this one!

  16. Thanks for linking to THIS WEEk'S CRAVINGS! Come back next week for "cherry" recipes for Washington's Birthday!