Monday, February 14, 2011

Banana Bread Waffles





I finally had some bananas that needed to be used. Usually the kids eat the bananas so fast I hardly have time to bake with them. 

I'm going to warn you, these are NOT the lowest calorie waffles in the world. Not by a long shot.  We have a big belgian waffle maker so these made only 7 waffles, very big waffles. 

The recipe I followed required 2 sticks of butter.  Yup, you heard correctly, 2 sticks people.  These did not need butter or syrup on them.  The picture above is my sons, he of course, wanted syrup. 

I do think that this is too much butter though, I would cut 1/2 a stick off the recipe next time I make them.  When we made them, they leaked butter all over the place.  They were delicious and the kids totally want me to make them again!

This is my submission to Iron Chef Challenge: Baking Powder from Clabber Girl at a Latte with Ott A. 



This is my submission to this weeks BSI:Buttermilk hosted by Renee from My Kitchen Adventures. 



Banana Bread Waffle Recipe
The Hungry Housewife

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 eggs
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 tbsp. vanilla
3 ripe bananas, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)

In a large bowl, whisk first 7 ingredients together.  In a small bowl, mix eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla.  Add in bananas.  Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir, but don't over stir.  It is okay to have lumps.  Fold in the pecans if using.  (I didn't)

Total calories = 3255 calories
7 waffles = 465 calories per waffle (without pecans)

One Year Ago...








Sweet & Spicy Potatoes

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenges at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet & Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairy Tale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Valentines Party at Seaside Simplicity
Tuesdays at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at Girlichef
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace
Ingredient Spotlight: Banana at Eat at Home

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. This looks good enough to be dessert! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to wrap my mind around the two sticks of butter. That is amazing. I can see why your kids gobbled them up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know what a big fan my family if of your waffles, thanks for another great recipe :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...2 ticks of butter:) Butter leaked from the waffle maker when Imade them too, I thought that was a beautiful sight :)
    Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea to use banana bread batter to make waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend would go apeshit over this! i love it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now to make them into a heart shape would be the perfect way to start Valentine's Day, butter and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These would make a yummy Valentine's Day brunch! Come on by and link up at my party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbi - those look amazing! We actually have a belgian waffle maker at my office - I need to get one for the house, but I am not sure my husband could stand another kitchen appliance in the house! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! That is the perfect way to use up those bananas! Serve me up a plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there's always room for a treat every once in a while. These sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew! These sound so yummy! 2 sticks of butter has that effect I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbi,
    Those waffles look so good, I wish I had one right now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula Deen invaded your kitchen! They so look so delicious....gotta' figure out a way to get that great taste without blowing the diet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look amazing. I haven't had waffles in EONS...and now I want some!!! Have a great day Debbi, as always thanks for the great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I shouldn't be reading posts like this when I am hungry! This looks divine! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. well...they do still fall under the 500 calories per meal..so not too bad! these look amazing..i wish i had a waffle maker:) thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delectable treat! I could eat these any time of the day and even for dessert with whip cream on top!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool! I just did a Banana Bread French Toast today ;) Now I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love recipes with 2 sticks of butter :)

    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love banana waffles. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up for sweet-inspired recipes. I hope you stop by and link up. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/17/chocolate-chip-toffee-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debs, every once in a while I adore waffles for dinner as a treat and so, healthy banana waffles like these would definitely go on my list! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! all the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did I tell you that you are being featured. I could feature you twice a week, easily. You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. MMM MMM good! I saw these linked up at Tuesday Night Supper Club and had to check these out. I see that you have a ton of recipes I can't wait to try, including those chicken sandwiches with Dr. Pepper sauce, buffalo shepherds pie, your choc peanut butter cheesecake, and MORE! So glad I stopped by, I am your newest follower :)

    Check out my blog and follow back if you like!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for linking up to my Iron Chef Challenge. I love eating pancakes and waffels on the weekends so this is getting bookmarked and made for sure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete