Thursday, February 10, 2011

Aztec Chicken with Fresh Pico de Gallo

I love finding new marinade for chicken.  Dress it up and you can have your chicken a million different ways! 

I loved this way! 

I devised this from several different recipes and it turned out really good!  The photos kinda stink but the food was great.

I finally put my tomatoes and peppers to good use! I made a rockin' pico de gallo! 

I bought 2 tomato plants and 1 pepper plant this year.  They have all been doing very well. But all I usually do with them is add them to quesadillas or salads.

This turned out great and I can't wait to make it again!

Aztec Chicken
Previously posted by me on Our Krazy Kitchen

1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken
1 tbsp. oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
3 tbsp. cilantro
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine oil, garlic, onion, cilantro, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper in a food processor.  Save a bit of the mixture for while cooking. Pour the rest into a large baggie with the chicken, mix and let marinade for a few hours. 

Grill or pan fry chicken until done, brushing with reserved sauce.  Serve with Pico de Gallo.

Rockin' Pico de Gallo

1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
3 -4  cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper

Mix everything together and refrigerate until ready to use.

Total calories for chicken = 970 calories
Total calories for pico de gallo = 140 calories
6 servings = 185 calories per serving with pico de gallo

Aztec Chicken with Pico de Gallo & Cilantro Rice = 456 calorie dinner

This makes a lot of pico de gallo but I put a bunch on my rice too!

More recipes you may enjoy!

Garlic Chicken with Sweet Roasted Pepper Sauce

Chicken Pot Pie

Island Marinated Chicken

One Year Ago...

Vinegar and Salt Chipotle Roasted Potatoes

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Show Me What You've Got at It's A Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Swap
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fun With Food at Paisly Passions
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. I love southwestern flavors...sounds really good...and very healthy.

  2. Looks delicious! A very nice and complete meal. The flavors sound wonderful. And I don't think your photo is that bad, the food looks delicious in it.

  3. After Italian, Southwestern and Mexican food is my favorite. I'm so happy to see a homemade marinade for this recipe. I hate using bottled ones as they contain so much sugar and other additives we don't need. Thanks! I found you from It's a Keeper.

  4. I adore pico de gallo, and your recipe sounds delish! Your Aztec Chicken looks wonderful too.

  5. I am amazed at all you do Debbi. Also all the different way you make chicken! Looks great!

  6. that looks phenomenal.
    Pico De GAllo is an amazing accompaniment to any meal. its so fresh and tasty!

  7. How have I missed your blog?! I think this meal looks amazing. Your pictures are not bad at all! This is the perfect kind of meal for my family. I'm following along with you now and will be making this just as soon as I can get some good tomatoes. Thanks so much! Candace

  8. yummy! we're on a low-carb diet and always looking for new recipes. Gonna have to try this chicken!

  9. Yummy this looks good. Kudos for making your own pico de gallo.

  10. Oh yummy! I love all the different spices in this dish... and it's chicken! My favorite :)

  11. Definitely my kind of dish. Easy and Mexican-ey. I'm bookmarking this one!

  12. That looks delicious! I definetly needed a new way to do chicken, and I just found it. :) Hurray!

  13. Hi Debbi,
    You know I am going to love your Aztec Chicken with a great Pico de Gallo and its all healthy. It really looks delicious. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

  14. Looks great! I love topping grilled chicken, steak, or pork with a fresh salsa, pico, or chilled sauce.

  15. I am so loving this recipe!! I think your pictures look great. They made me want to eat it right off your blog!! Bookmarking this one to make soon!!

  16. Debbi,
    This sounds terrific. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for your patience with the linky on Dining With Debbie. I have no idea what's going on with it. Are we still doing Tailgating Time?

  17. Yum that looks good and healthy too! Good for your for buying a tomato plant - I bought one too but as soon as the tomatoes get ripe the critters find them and eat them! Thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe:)

  18. looks so good and filling delicious kind of meal

  19. I'm hooked! This looks like a perfect quick and healthy dinner. We love anything Mexican or Spanish. Thanks for the inspiration :)

  20. oh my, i always LOVE all your recipes! this looks great!

  21. This looks great, and I think I could cheat and make it a quick meal by pureeing some hot salsa with a bit of lime.

    It won't taste as good as yours, but it'd help use up the salsa in the fridge :-)

  22. I am on a low calorie diet and this looks so yummy!!! please come link this to our party over here:

    Have a great weekend!

  23. I have an award for you, Debbi!

  24. This looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it... thanks for sharing!