Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Apple Cider Beef Stew



There is nothing quite like a beef stew cooking in the crockpot. 

They should figure out a way to bottle up that smell permanently find a way to make your home smell that way forever.  I think I would never leave.



The sweetness of the apple juice and apple were perfect!  The only thing different I would do is add some sweet potatoes next time. 

 

This was especially good and comforting during the cold Minnesota winter days.  Actually, I'd love anytime of the year! 



Apple Cider Beef Stew Recipe
Adapted from Once a Month Mom

2 lbs. lean stew meat
3 tbsp. flour (I used gluten free)
Salt & pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme

2 cups apple cider or juice
2 tbsp. vinegar
3 potatoes, large chopped
4 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
2 onions, chopped

Throw stew meat in a baggie with flour, thyme, salt and pepper.  Cook on stovetop until there is a nice sear on the meat.  Place in crockpot. 

Place the apple juice & vinegar in skillet briefly just to scrape up the browned bits from the pan. Put into crock pot.  Place the chopped veggies into crock pot and cook 6 - 8 hours on high or 10 - 12 on low. 

Total calories = 2921 calories
12 cups = 243 calories per cup

2 cups Apple Cider Beef Stew = 486 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...










This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table

16 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can only imagine how good this smelled and tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really looks terrific. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That looks and sounds delicious. I can almost smell it cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple cider always gives a fantastic taste to food. Yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM...that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    caseyfamilyadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting combo! I woudl def have to try it. I cant tell you how long its been since I have made beef stew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beets a beef stew in the crockpot. Never would have thought to add apple cider; gret suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another yummy one.
    I also wanted to tell you that I made your black bean pineapple enchiladas last night and they were KILLER! That is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book marking this for my lunches next week - I love any type of vinegar and love that you added apples - yum!!!

    Thanks Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. now this is right up our alley! thanks for posting! visiting from wfmw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is perfect comfort food. I wish I had a bowl full right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect timing! I'm trying to use up the last of our apple cider b4 it goes bad--hubs will love this! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just opened a bottle of apple cider for a recipe and was wondering what I was going to do with the rest! Great recipe, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, girl, I finally made this today and it was soooo good! I've never made beef stew before (I know, crazy, right?!), and this was just amazing. I loved the tart/sweet flavor that the apple cider added to it. Just incredible. I took your suggestion of adding a sweet potato (I didn't bother peeling it) and we loved it! Even my hubs, who doesn't like sweet potatoes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and I was in a hurry when I put it in the crockpot so I skipped flouring and searing the meat. Still incredible! The crazy thing is that I added no salt to the recipe and it doesn't taste bland at all! This would be a great one for people watching their sodium--there is so much flavor you don't need it!

    ReplyDelete