Monday, January 3, 2011

Taste & Create - Honey Orange Chicken with Broccoli



Here is a recipe from Tamy from Always Eat on the Good China.  This is a part of Nicole's Taste & Create.  Bloggers are paired together and you each get to make a dish from their site.  Check it out, it's a fun way to make new recipes and meet new bloggers!



She had a bunch of wonderful recipes but I finally decided on her Honey Orange Chicken.


I tried to stick with the original recipe as close as possible, even though I swore never to bread chicken chunks to fry in a pan again.  For me - unless you use a lot of oil, it doesn't seem to work and I end up wishing I had just cooked the chicken chunks without the flour and cornstarch batter. 

Well, I did it and it worked fairly well.



We found this incredible and super delicious!  I will for sure make it again. Though knowing me, I will just dump the sauce in the pan with the veggies and make it as a stir fry. I'm all abou simple and quick. I did like the caramelization from the oven though.  Either way, I completely recommend this recipe and can't wait to make it again!



Honey Orange Chicken with Broccoli Recipe
Adapted from Always Eat on the Good China

2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1 large onion, 1/4 of it chopped, the rest cut into slices
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. soy sauce mixed with 1 tbsp. cornstarch
Juice of 2 oranges (I used 4 small cutie oranges)
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. red chile pepper flakes
3 tbsp. cooking sherry
1/2 cup splenda (or sugar)
zest of one orange (mine didn't zest so I didn't use this)
1 tsp. ground ginger

1 lb. broccoli florets

Mix cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in large ziploc bag.  Mix egg and sesame oil in a small bowl.  Toss the chicken in the egg and then toss in the flour bag. 

In a large skillet, heat and spray with cooking spray.  When hot, add the chicken pieces and cook turning as needed until all sides are brown.  4 - 8 minutes.  Remove chicken.  In same pan, add the chopped onion and garlic.  Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, soy sauce through garlic.  Stir and heat until slightly thickened.  Add the chicken to the sauce and coat.  Place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then I broiled it for about 3 - 4 minutes to get some more color on the chicken. 

Place the rest of the sauce into another bowl and set aside.  In same pan, cook sliced onions for 4 - 5 minutes until they get some color. Add broccoli and cook for about 6 - 8 minutes until bright green and done. 

Serve chicken with broccoli onion mixture. Drizzle with the extra sauce.

Total calories = 2252 calories
4 servings = 563 calories per serving

Honey Orange Chicken with Broccoli & Onions = 563 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...


 Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.





Chicken Francais










Broccoli with Ginger Orange Butter


This is linked with:
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
Delicious Dishes at It's A Blog Party
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Tuesdays at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearty n Soul at Girlichef
Tasty Tuesday at A Beautiful Mess
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy at Blessed with Grace
Dr.Lauras Tasty Tuesday at Dr.Laura's Adventures
Recipe Share at Home & Pantry
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas

24 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! We need to cut back on take-out and this looks like a perfect fix for a Chinese food craving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy!
    I love quick stir fry and honey/orange or citrus/honey combos are always a win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look good! I love sweet sauces on chicken! Definitely going to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another bookmarked recipe from Debbi!
    WOW...this looks good. I'm a big fan of fruit and fruit flavours with chicken!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a deliciously tasty and much healthier version of a Chinese food dish! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... this looks sooo good! We don't have a decent Chinese restaurant for miles, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for giving me a fix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chinese food is alway my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love recipes like this they are so very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great combo of flavors in your chicken dish, Debbi. Some of my favorites! Can't wait to try this one...sounds nice and easy too. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is for me. I am a fan of chicken and I love the flavors you incorporated. If you remember on Wednesday, please link it up to Let's Do Lunch, Brunch and Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks terrific to me! I'm not so sure that my family would like the sweet sauce, though. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm...this sounds tasty! I think the secret is making sure your oil is super hot and not over crowding the pan...otherwise you just end up stewing. That said...I totally want to lick the sauce from that chicken ;) YUM. Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe! I bet my kids would love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my husband would be really happy if i made this for him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love simple delicious recipes and this one looks amazing. I would love for you to link this or any of your recipes to my recipe blog hop. http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2011/01/cuban-style-picadillo.html

    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This looks delicious. I did taste and create once but with the holidays coming up I haven't participated again. This is a great recipe to do, I am glad that you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a big fan of frying either but this looks excellent! I'd rather make this than order take out any time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks amazing and fairly easy...we have so many oranges around here right now...i am searching for recipes to use them up. this would be something we all would love! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Debs! It is so much fun to cook recipes from someone else's kitchen! I really enjoy doing it! My kids love chicken and broccoli and this, with the orange flavor would be a great change. I wish you a happy new year and thanks so much for sharing with us on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with you - I'd probably simplify it to a stir fry. hehe I'm lazy and would try to eliminate as many dirty dishes as possible! ;)

    This taste and create looks awesome! I think I'm going to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! The combination of Orange and Chicken Always makes me happy!! I wanted to mention- I host a weekly recipe event Entitled Seasonal Sundays- and this recipe would fit right into the theme!
    xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) I loved your turkey sloppy Joes!

    ReplyDelete