Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sicilian Meatloaf




This was supposed to be a rolled up, super pretty meatloaf. If you go to Trisha's meatloaf on Once A Month Mom, you will see a gorgeous rolled up meatloaf that will knock your socks off.

I didn't roll mine. I like to simplify. A lot. I wasn't even creative enough to cook this in a meatloaf pan! I cooked it in an 8 x 8 pan and layered the meat, then the ham & cheese, then more meat. I think it had the same effect. Just not as pretty. Not to mention, I was preparing this in front of a camera so simplifying was certainly in order!!



I like to cook in 8 x 8 pans as things just tend to cook better, for me. This might not be true of everyone else but it is for me. Breads, cakes, meatloaves. I love them in these size pans. I think I have 4 of them.

I loved the flavor of this meatloaf. I am a dipper. I love to dip in ketchup or BBQ sauce usually. This really didn't need anything. If anything, I think that just a tad of pizza sauce over the top would have been fantastic!

This recipe makes 2 pans of meatloaf. I still have one in the freezer. I think I'll try the pizza sauce on it! Though it was fantastic without it!

This was part of my ground turkey freezer cooking day!!




Sicilian Meatloaf
Adapted from Once A Month Mom

3 lbs. ground turkey
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
3/4 cup tomato juice (I used V8)
3 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 slices ham, 1 oz. a piece (sandwich slices)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Mix together ground turkey and the next 7 ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Spray 2 loaf pans or 2 - 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray.  Divide 1/2 the mixture between the 2 pans.  Put 5 slices of ham on the bottom layer. They will overlap, that's okay.  Sprinkle 4 oz. of cheese on each ham layer.  Top with remaining half of meat mixture.  If you are only baking one, cover one with aluminum foil, label and freeze.  Thaw before cooking.  Bake at 350 for about 1 hour 20 minutes.  6 servings per meatloaf.

**I make this differently than the recipe, check hers out to see the difference.
Total calories = 3581 calories
12 servings = 298 calories per serving

Sicilian Meatloaf + 4 Zucchini Fritters = 558 calorie dinner


One Year Ago...









Italian Zucchini with Tomatoes



This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap from The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Whats Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Fun With Food Friday at Paisley Passions


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.





27 comments:

  1. This makes a solid lunch. If you want to, http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-do-lunch-breakfast-and-brunch-10.html

    I am working on the badge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meatloaf looks just fine with me. Most of us do not have the time to fuss, these days and we can still pull it off. You certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a definite hit in my house since meatloaf is a weekly occurrence! I am always looking for ways to jazz it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me, I tend to do things a little simpler, but yours looks good to me. I think I saw that video when you made this! It's nice to see it all cooked up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i usually make italian meatloaf. heavy on the onion!
    this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi,
    I am so happy to see you here today.I have a large portion of your Sicilian Meatloaf on my plate here at Full Plate Thursday...I can't wait to eat it. Thank you for coming to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me intrigued with the first sight of the picture. Yum! Looks and sounds delish!! Can't wait to try this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! I've never seen this type of meatloaf before! I'm sure my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dish, something that could feed the 4 of us for a few days. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious looking! What a great idea to bake it in an 8 inch pan. I have 3 of them myself and one 9 inch pan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! And I love how you simplified it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How can it be that I JUST ate dinner and now I'm dying for a bite of this? I'm totally bookmarking and making next menu plan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently made something like this and it was very good. I did roll mine...it never occured to me that I wouldn't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never made meatloaf in a square pan before, but it looks great, I'm going to give it a go instead of my normal loaf pan next time I make it! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby LOVES meatloaf. I am going to have to try this one next week.

    I host a NEW linky party called Fun w/Food Friday. I would LOVE it if you came by and linked up some of your delicious posts! Have a great weekend :)

    http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of that before, but my husband is a HUGE meatloaf fan - although not sure I could pass of the ground turkey - I may sub in some ground sirloin though and add the pizza sauce - great idea - its going on my menu next week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks and sounds really good! Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That really looks like a way to add some flavor to ground turkey. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. slap me silly this looks so good-I'm sick and I still want some!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe we must be part sicilian because this sure does look delicious to me

    ReplyDelete
  21. this looks amazing...and since i am a huge fan of meatloaf sandwiches..the way you prepared it can be perfectly sliced and slipped in between two slices of warm bread. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbi, thank you so much for bringing this to Friday Potluck this week - and for reposting after technical difficulties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm Sicilian and this looks yummy! I'm a new follower and would love a follow back.
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Nancy
    http://funwithnancy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a new take on meatloaf for me. Never seen it with a layer of ham in the middle before. I think my family would gobble this up. Next time I have leftover lunch meat I know what I'm doing with it!

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbie, Great meatloaf. I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a cool idea! I don't like ham, but I'm going to try it with turkey. Is that weird... turkey in turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love meat loaf. Looks delish! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete