Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta with Bacon



I couldn't stop eating this. I seriously think that I had some for breakfast one morning! 


It was also incredibly easy. The sauce was perfect!

The portions were huge for a small amount of calorie and I LIKE that!


The best part of course - it had bacon.  Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!



Pumpkin Pasta with Bacon Recipe
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

6 Slices of turkey bacon
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp. thyme
Salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves
14 oz. pasta (I used Rotini Barilla Plus)
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1 cup of sour cream, light

Cook pasta. Drain and set aside.

Cook bacon. Drain on paper towels.  Add onion to the same pan and cook for 6 - 7 minutes.  Add thyme, salt, pepper and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. 

Add pasta to onions. Add pumpkin and sour cream, stir until combined. You may need to add some pasta water to it to get the right consistency. I didn't need to do this though. 

Crumble bacon on the whole thing or just crumble enough on each portion.

Total calories = 2307 calories
6 huge servings = 385 calories per serving

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights.  It is being hosted this week by Heather from Girlichef and Ruth from Once Upon A Feast.
It's also linked with BSI: Pumpkin from My Bizzy Kitchen!  Check it out weekly for a new ingredient! 

One Year Ago...












Kung Pao Chicken


This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katies Cucina
Fun With Food Friday at Paisley Passions
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Pumpkin at Life as Mom




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

40 comments:

  1. It sounds easy too, I like that. At first I thought you made the pasta out of pumpkin. The bacon got my attention, perfect for breakfast. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this! I am having a bunch of ladies over in a few weeks and this looks like a substantial dish to serve them that healthful and nutritious.
    AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that looks good, I love that you used turkey bacon to make it healthier. I have a friend who asked me to recommend a blog with healthy delicious recipes and yours was the first one that came to mind. She has been cooking some of your recipes and having lots of success. Thanks for keeping it healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you... bacon does make everything better. I recently became addicted to pancetta when I can get it. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds so yummy! I would never think to make this because it seems so heavy, but your calorie stats sound so reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bacon DEFINITELY makes everything better ;) This sounds awesome Debbi! Wish I had a big bowl for my breakfast. Thanks for sharing it w/ PPN this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would have thought of this combo in a million years - I've had pumpkin ravioli before - yum!

    I've actually made sweet potato ravioli before and they were amazing! It was actually one of the first BSI recipes I made - and at the time I didn't even like sweet potatoes!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2008/11/14/dinner-and-bsi-recipe-sweet-potato/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not being able to stop eating it, is a really good sign. Looks awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic dish--I need to try this! The funny thing is, my blog post today is also a pasta dish . . . with bacon. You're so right--bacon does make everything better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bacon! I am not a big pasta eater but this does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic! And I just so happen to have some canned pumpkin and center cut bacon that needs to be used! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds great and I love that the servings are huge for not a ton of calories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! This would be a good way for me to use a little of my pureed pumpkin from my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE pumpkin pasta, what a great low calorie meal..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Debbi,
    Pumpkin, Pasta and Bacon that is a great combination and it looks delicious. I am so happy that you brought it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I would never have thought of adding pumpkin to pasta like this. I think you've really hit on a tasty combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so thinking outside the box with the pumpkin thing and I LOVE it. The fact that it has bacon and you had it for breakfast makes me have to try this out!! Thanks my mouth is watering already!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that looks too delicious for me. I don't think I could control my pasta overindulgence trigger. Yum. I'll get there someday...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Debbi, stopping by from Full Plate Thursday. I guess it is time to try pasta with pumpkin, I know, I know, I am really late to the party! But you did have me at bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So do you add the pumpkin at the same time you're adding the sour cream? This sounds like it could be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, this looks good. I adore pumpkin in anything so I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so awesome - and will be tried very soon. I don't have a lot of easy pasta recipes and this looks like it fits the bill for both quick and super-tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH, YUM. This is going on my menu! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow pumpkin pasta, sounds great! I would probably leave out the bacon and sub in some caramelized onions myself. Maybe some bacon bits on the side for my husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like a great dish .. learning so much from you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh, this looks and sounds totally amazing and brilliant - I would never have thought to mix pasta and pumpkin. Awesome! This is going on the list of dinners I want to try.

    Visiting from Tidy Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow....what a delicous looking dish. And it's a calorie bargain!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are my official recipe tester! Thanks for trying another one of mine. It is super yummy isn't it? You make me wish I had some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. YUM! Bacon does make everything better! Thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have never heard of a dish like this before! I have tried a lot of raviolis with pumpkin stuffing, but it never occurred to me to make a pasta w/ a pumpkiny sauce! This looks and sounds so delicious - and I agree, the addition of bacon makes everything better!! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a huge can of pumpkin in my pantry from the fall. I will use some for this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh yum, I made a pumpkin pasta this year with sausage but I bet bacon is awesome too. Looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My son says everything is better with bacon and this sounds like a delicious pasta dish.

    I followed your link from Friday Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  34. As soon as I saw the pumpkin, I fell a little bit in love. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW!! I tried putting pumpkin with pasta and failed miserably a few months ago.. Def Trying this recipe :)
    Hoping you will link it up at this weeks Seasonal Sunday Event! xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  36. At first I thought this was for an actual "pumpkin pasta" which, of course, I had never heard of. LOL. This recipe looks really good. I like the flavor combination ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! This sounds really good. I love pumpkin too! I thin I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. When do you add the pumpkin? Does that go in when you mix the pasta w/ the sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  39. This pasta sounds really fantastic! I love the flavors...definitely will have to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete