Monday, January 24, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake




I've been making a lot of food with pumpkin.  Whenever it goes on sale I buy like 4 or 5 cans. So I've developed quite the supply of pumpkin.


I love cheesecake but I don't have a spring form pan.  I did once but it got all bent and gross so I tossed it out.  I hated cooking cheesecakes in a water bath too.  I did once and it leaked and got all soggy. 

So when my brother came home with like 6 packs of cream cheese and hinted at a cheesecake, I told him that I would make it but HE was responsible for cooking it.  It's hard to tell when they are done. 


It cooked just fine in an 8 x 8 pan.  If you want to see the original recipe cooked in a springform pan, it's here.  It turned out delicious.  The crust was particularly tasty. Plus, now I have one less can of pumpkin.  

Until the next sale on pumpkin.  :-) 



Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
Adapted from Simply Recipes

Crust:
1/2 cup pecans

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 graham crackers
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg yolk

Filling:
2 - 8 oz. packages cream cheese, light, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 tbsp. spiced rum

Pulse pecans, flour, sugar and crumbs in a food processor.  Or if your food processor isn't cooperating, just put in a baggie and smash the heck out of it.   Mix with the butter and egg yolk.  Press into  the bottom of an 8 x 8 in. pan sprayed with cooking spray. I had it come slightly up the edges too.  Bake for 10 minutes at 375.  Let cool. 

Drain and strain as much liquid as you can from pumpkin.  Place on several layers of paper towels and squish with more paper towels to get more liquid out.  You'll go through a lot of paper towels but you want to get rid of as much liquid as possible.  Reserve exactly 1 cup of this for your cheesecake.  There will be a little left, stick it in your oatmeal tomorrow morning. 

Whisk together the flour and spices in a bowl.  Mix in the pumpkin, vanilla and rum. Beat in the eggs. 

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and the brown sugar until fully creamed and smooth.  Gradually add the pumpkin mixture until fully incorporated. 

Pour the filling onto the slightly cooled crust.  Cook at 325 for about 55 minutes. Check and maybe cook for another 5 minutes if it isn't done. 

Total calories = 3264 calories
16 slices = 204 calories per slice

One Year Ago...









Chili Con Carne


This is linked with:
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet & Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Tuesdays at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at Girlichef
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy at Blessed with Grace
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom
Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

31 comments:

  1. Pumpkin cheesecake is a favorite of everyone in our home. Cooking Light has a recipe for one that is really awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen can pumpkin puree for long....your pumpkin cheesecake looks wonderfully moist, creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not the biggest cheesecake fan, with exception to pumpkin cheesecake, and this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks great! I haven't made a cheesecake before....but I want to make this one very soon!!!!

    Love pumpkin!!!! MMmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made pumpkin cheesecake, guess I can use fresh pumpkin and puree it. I have never see tinned pumpkin here. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a recipe I definitely plan to try--love cheesecake, and love pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for a pumpkin sale near me, because I have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, it's funny how many times I click on a picture from a blog hop and it ends up being yours. :) Pumpkin Cheesecake sounds wonderful!

    http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin Cheesecake? The title alone had me sold :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful - and I love the pecans in the crust. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never thought to do a cheesecake in a regular 8x8 pan! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a winner with this one Deb! Not bad on the calories either and did you use full fat cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cheesecake looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on this, I say keep the pumpkin flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! And not bad for you at all! Wow that's a dessert recipe that I need in my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what? I've been craving cheesecake for a few months now, but have been way too lazy to actually make some. Still am...but I will dream of a slice of yours!! YUM ;) Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I wish pumpkin would go on sale here, I would make this in a heartbeat. It looks go velvety and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually found out that Aldi sells pumpkin for only .69 cents a can - I can't tell its not Libby brand either!

    Thanks for your well wishes Debbi - I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kind of dessert; it looks wonderful; like you I love pumpkin and always on the lookout for a new recipe; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I've never found a springform to be critical...helpful but not critical. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMMY... looks delicious! I'm anxious to come back to your site and see your healthy recipes. I'm making lifestyle changes and need all the help I can get! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think Mister Linky is working this week. I'm looking forward to what you have to say:) Your cheesecake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a little supply of pumpkin too. Your pumpkin cheesecake sounds delicious and spicy. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Boy does that sounds good. I love having a supply of pumpkin on hand. You never know when you are going to crave something spicy and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, I just love pumpkin cheesecake! And you managed to make it lighter - amazing. Now I absolutely have to give it a shot!

    Visiting from Mouthwatering Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This recipe looks amazing! I would love for you to link this or any of your recipes to my blog hop @ It's a Keeper Thursdays. http://www.everydaytastes.com/

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. looks amazing! i don't cook my cheesecake in a water bath either...i find it too fussy...and my mom never did! thank you for linking this great use of pumpkin ;) with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This will be a good way to use some of that pumpkin I canned from the garden....or the squash that I froze.

    Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum, I just love pumpkin cheesecake. Can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A fantastic Recipe.
    Regards
    olga.

    ReplyDelete