Thursday, January 13, 2011

Italian Style Green Bean Casserole



You know the classic green bean casserole that everyone feels the need to make on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas?  Really, the only thing awesome about that casserole is the french fried onions on the top.  I could just eat those out of the can.

Well, maybe it's time to start a new tradition and make THIS green bean casserole. 


You so don't have to wait until the holidays to make this. I'll be making it again no matter what the season.  These were amazingly delicious!  Creamy, cheesy and fresh! 

The only thing I would change is to cut the green beans in half.  I try to control portions and it was hard to cut a portion evenly with the large green beans. 



Italian style Green Bean Casserole
Adapted by Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

2 lbs. fresh green beans, ends trimmed
4 tbsp. butter, divided
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 red pepper, cut up finely
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
25 Ritz crackers, crushed in baggie
1/4 cup parmesan, grated

Gently steam the green beans until tender but still firm.  Place in 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. 

Melt 2 tbsp. of the butter in a pan, add the onions and red pepper and saute for about 5 - 6 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for another couple of minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a simmer but not boil.  Stir in cheese and turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add just a bit of nutmeg and stir.

Pour the sauce over the top of the green beans.  Melt the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter and combine with the crackers and parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle over casserole.  Bake for 25 minutes at 400 until bubbly and golden on top. 

Total calories = 2565 calories
8 servings = 321 calories per serving

Steak & onions + Green Bean Casserole = 571 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Slow Cooker Cheesy Garlic Chicken

This is my submission to Ingredient Spotlight: Green Beans at Eat at Home

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katies Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Fun With Food Friday at Paisley Passions
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

32 comments:

  1. I love green bean casseroles, this one looks great and is different in so many ways as not to compete with "that other one"! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that sounds delicious! Unfortunately I'll have to wait before I make green beans again, we had some yesterday and the BF is not too fond of them... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd like this more than the usual green bean casserole. The buttery ritz and parm topping sounds much better to me than the onions--which I don't like! I also like that this version doesn't have a cream of _ soup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds good. I've only made green bean casserole once. I was invited to Christmas with some friends from So Africa and they asked me to bring the green bean casserole. I had to look up the recipe and figure out how to make it. I could bring myself to use canned green beans so I adapted using fresh. They laughed and said "the only American here and you didn't know how to make green bean casserole?" :D but they did like my version. I'm making your version is next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Italian Green Bean Casserole is a really big hit here at Full Plate Thursday, I can hardly wait to try it. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am guilty of nibbling on a handful or two of the frnechs onion topping LOL why is it sooo good???
    i love the casserole bytheway- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandma used to use Ritz crackers as a topping on casseroles - completely forgot about that!

    Looks delicious!

    p.s. You know I don't even like onions, but I can eat those French fried onions out of the can too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green beans are my favorite veggie, I could eat them everyday just plain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those little fried onions...yum - this looks like a good change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great and I love those onions also. I've had my fill of the usual green bean dish so will trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love green bean casserole during the holiday season. Thank you for reminding us that it can be done all through the year, and in different ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really looks gorgeous and festive. I will try it for sure! Thanks for the recipe, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for trying my casserole! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now THAT is a green bean casserole I would eat!

    ~Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have plenty of green beans in the freezer yet from the summer garden, this looks like the perfect recipe for some of them. Thanks for sharing.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just what I needed, a new veggie casserole! Can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never actually had green bean casserole before but this looks pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going in the "try next holiday meal" file!! Looks really good, thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I already know this would beat out traditional green bean casserole hands down--the fresh green beans look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like a nice change from the other recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love green bean casserole and this looks like a great twist on such a classic, can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, look so delicious. What a bonus when it's also healthy and good for you!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! This is a different take of green bean casserole. It looks very healthy. I think we will try your healthier version the next time we make it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbi, I love this twist on the normal green bean casserole! Thank you for linking up to Katie's Cucina; I featured you today!

    http://katiescucina.blogspot.com/2011/01/monday-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds really delicious, Debbie. I love the Italian twist on this classic dish and Ritz crackers are so much easier for me to get here in England than French fried onions!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds so healthy and looks so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks so great, I need a good green bean casserole to whip up for a nice dinner every once in a while

    thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Debbi, your Italian Style Green Bean Casserole is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 1-20-2011.
    Thank you for coming!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum, that looks really good. I'm coming over from Eat at Home's Ingredient Spotlight. I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks really good, definitely better than plain green beans.

    ReplyDelete