Thursday, January 27, 2011

Green Chili Chicken & Lime Soup




I've made this soup a number of times and each time it seems to get better and better.

I often cook a bunch of chicken and have bags of portioned cooked, shredded chicken in the freezer. I cooked the rice early in the day so when it came time for dinner, this was able to be thrown together very quickly.




We ate this with a pepper jack peach quesadilla with honey lime sour cream.  It was a wonderful meal!!  Very healthy and incredibly tasty!! 

 “Come join Soup-a-Palooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by Bush’s Beans, Hip Hostess, Pillsbury and Westminster Crackers


Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup Recipe

Adapted from Picky Palate

1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cartons of chicken broth or 64 oz.
1 can Rotel with green chilies
2 - 4 oz. cans of green chilies
2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
2 cups basmati rice, cooked
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
Handful of cilantro, chopped


Place onion in pan with cooking spray and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for one minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilies, cooked chicken, cooked rice, lime juice and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes, taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Right before serving, add chopped cilantro.


Total calories = 1162
6 servings = 194 calories per serving


Pepperjack Peach Quesadilla & Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup = 485 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Monte Cristo Sandwich


This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursdays at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
It's A Keeper Thursday at It's A Keeper
Tip Day at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katies Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKats Kitchen
Friday Fabulous Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Fun with Food Friday at Paisley Passions
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Hearth n Soul at Girlichef


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

34 comments:

  1. What a great last minute dinner, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks good to me! Great colors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like our kind of soup.Like you I love to cook chicken and some some ready to use in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lime must give it a nice added zip to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I love using lime with chicken. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dinner idea! I like that you've perfected it for us! I like to do that with chicken too, it nice to grab a portion of it when you need it and toss it in some soup or casserole! I am going to note this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a spicy soup. They are so satisfying. I'm happy to see a calorie count too. I do the same thing. Keeps me on track.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saved and on my 'to do' list. Thanks Debbie. Dianr

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're always looking for a new soup recipe to add to our repertoire - this one looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! I'm such a sucker for chicken and lime and green chilis! Oh, and I made your Asian Turkey Broccoli Slaw last night and it was delish! I had it wrapped in lettuce and my guys had it over rice and scarfed it all up! So fast, delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you added lime - yum! (and sorry for all our swearing lately - I promise to clean out my potty mouth soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbi,
    I can almost smell this wonderful Green Chili Chicken & Lime Chili. This Chili really looks good and I can't wait to give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing it with us here at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds lovely - and wonderful that you can prepare it all last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This whole dinner sounds awesome, what great flavors and variety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't get enough of the spicy/lime flavor combo! This sounds perfect... I'm definitely trying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This whole dinner sounds amazing. I just got a new quesadilla maker, so I am bookmarking this meal for next week. If I can wait that long..yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh mans, this is my favorite soup! I so need to make it again. I love what you chose to go with it--that quesadilla sounds like it's off the hook! mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  18. A hearty meal for this freezing weather, perfect. Spicy soup and cheesy quesadilla, mouth watering. Your so generous enough to add those calorie counts, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever done it with brown rice?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a good combination of ingredients. Sounds like the perfect food for a cold day.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious soup!! Love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking up to the It's a Keeper Thursday blog hop! I hope you come back next week and link something new!

    Have a great weekend!

    It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I found you on Spotlight Saturday Blog Hop. I'm now following. :) I can't wait to try this soup recipe. Green chilies and lime... yum!
    Jan http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yet another great looking Debbi recipe!!! Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The soup sounds incredibly good and the quesadilla too! Love the peaches in it. Unique.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like a very healthy and delicious soup and I love those quesadillas too. A great dinner--thank you for sending it to Souper Sundays!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This soup looks like it warms heart and soul. What a delicious looking soup, Debbi. Thanks for bringing to Friday potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for linking up to Katie's Cucina. I just wanted to let you know that I featured your soup today!

    http://katiescucina.blogspot.com/2011/01/monday-features_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Debs! Don't you just love it when you can simply throw together a healthy delicious meal in like 5 minutes because you made plans ahead of time and had things on hand? I always have chicken stock available and soup is always an option! I know my family would love this recipe and so I would like to share it on my hearth and soul hop recipe highlights at a moderate life on friday! stop by to say hi! Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop! All the best. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  30. YUM! I have a recipe very similar and we love it!
    Just stopping to say thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday last week. Sorry that I'm a bit late.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  31. yummy! will definitely try it, i love that combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there. Food on Friday: Lemons and Limes is now open for entries. This looks like a neat one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Cheers

    ReplyDelete