Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Chickpea Soup




This soup was fantastic!  I just want to make another enormous pot and eat it for weeks.  Seriously, it was that good.


Excellent as it was the first night, it was enormously better the next day, as many soups tend to be.  The bacon flavor was much more pronounced after sitting in the frig. 


The other awesome thing was that it was super duper filling.  One cup of this and you're good to go. Seriously, make this soup, get your fuzzy slippers, sit by the fire and enjoy. 




Chickpea Chicken Soup Recipe
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 tbsp. bacon grease
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, rough chopped (I didn't use these)
2 cups raw spinach
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin
12 oz. chicken, cooked, shredded or chopped
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 1/4 cup chopped carrots
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 cans of chickpeas, 15 oz. a piece
24 oz. chicken stock (I think I used less)

Cook chopped bacon and fry until brown and crispy.  Remove and drain on a paper towel.  Keeping only 1 tbsp. of bacon grease in the pan, add onions, peppers, carrot and celery and saute until soft, about 5 - 8 minutes.  Add garlic, spinach, paprika and cumin and stir for about 1 minute. Turn heat down and add chickpeas, seasoned salt and chicken.  Pour in chicken stock and simmer for about 30 minutes or more.  Right before serving, add bacon back into soup.  

230 calories per cup

I figured out how many cups were in this to figure out the calories and I wrote down that there were 230 calories per cup. However, I then forgot to write down how MANY cups were in it and now, a week later, totally forgot. I do know it has 230 per cup though.  :-)


One Year Ago...




This is my submission to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen 

This is linked with:
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Tuesdays at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearty n Soul at Girlichef
Tasty Tuesday at 33 Shades of Green
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy at Blessed with Grace
Recipe Share at Home & Pantry
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. Soup looks so good and so hearty! Love chickpeas, this would go over very well at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks and sounds divine, I think you have sold it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so my cup of tea... er, soup. It looks so thick and filled with tons of goodies. Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those colors in the soup, Debbi. So9 healthy, comforting and warming. And it's got bacon and only has 230 calories? Be still, my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me - I've never had chick peas in a soup before - so crazy that I haven't! I love that you love soup as much as I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb that does look filling and delicious. I find chickpeas to be very satisfying, protein and carbs and wrapped up in one little nugget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to be making some of this over the weekend :)

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! I am always looking for new soup dishes, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has all my favorite things in it and I love the low calorie count! It looks super hearty and flavorful. About the spinach enchiladas - I told my Dad it was green from the green chiles and herbs! He still doesn't know there was spinach in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just printed this Debbie and will be trying it soon. Looks so healthy and tastey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks great! I made chick peas the other day! my firs chick peas ever!
    and put bacon in anything and its mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been seeing many recipes with chickpeas in soup. It sounds good. I think, it is time to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks fabulous! I am obsessed with soups right now and I love chickpeas - thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had bacon in a Moroccan-style dish. I'd be interested to taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum...what a healthy start for the new year!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum Yum yum!! Must try this!
    Also- wanted to invite you to participate in a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays :P this recipe fits the theme! http://realsustenance.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would leave out the mushrooms too(yuck!), but the rest of it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super! I have everything on hand too. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family loves chick peas. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Debs! I so want to make this soup! I dont have any chicken but I think I am gonna make it with my left over pork loin roast! I absolutely adore chickpeas in soup and whenever I go to lunch at our local Greek restaurant with my friend marge, I order it! This is such an awesome recipe! I bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! all the best, Alex

    ReplyDelete
  21. This really looks great. I have a gallon of chickpeas too -- you have inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love anything with chick peas and this looks delicious. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious! I will be giving this one a try. I just made a tomato and chick pea soup that was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks like real food for the soul...hearty, delicious and good for you...my kind of meal! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete