Monday, January 10, 2011

Butternut Squash Black Bean Rancheros



I think these have become my new favorite meal.  I've said that before, haven't I?  Yea, like 30 times probably. But really, really.  These are awesome.




Butternut squash is one of my favorites. I could eat it with every meal. There have been some weeks when I have eaten it daily.

Roasted like this, with just a bit of salt and pepper, slightly caramelized; well, it just makes my mouth water thinking about it.


Pair that with a plate full of delicious southwestern beans and it's a fantastic meal. 

The best part?  This is an enormous amount of food for a small amount of calories.  Seriously.  This rocks.


Butternut Squash Rancheros Recipe
Adapted from Cooking Aweigh the Pounds

1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and sliced into 1 in. rounds
Cooking spray
Salt

1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
Cilantro

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray both sides of the squash with cooking spray.  Place the squash on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Flip and sprinkle with more salt.  Bake for another 15 minutes. 

While squash is cooking, begin sauteing the onions in cooking spray for about 5 - 6 minutes.  Throw in cumin, coriander, jalapeno and garlic and cook for anther 2 minutes.  Add tomato sauce, salt, honey and beans and cook for another 5 minutes or so. 

When the squash is done, turn on the broiler and broil for 5 minutes. Watch to make sure the squash caramelizes a bit but doesn't burn. 

Place half of the bean mixture on a plate or bowl and top with 1/2 the butternut squash. 

Total calories = 850 calories
2 servings = 425 calories

Butternut Squash Rancheros + extra squash = 475 calories

One Year Ago...










Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches












Chicken Pot Pie



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. Those sound fantastic. I love how pretty the squash looks cut in circles and placed on the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both love butternut so that will go down well in this house. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Debbi,
    Oh my goodness, that Butternut Squash Ranchero's is going to be a big hit here. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this sounds awesome! I love roasted squash and I just know the southwest flavors must be an amazing compliment. Delicioso...thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week, as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This meal is right up my alley! I too love squash and I posted a pasta recipe using butternut squash that is awesome!

    Thank you Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good. I can see why you are excited about it. I could probably eat it everyday too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The squash sounds delicious, Debbie. The caramelization adds a whole nother element to its taste. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks great, I love to eat alot without guilt...saving this one for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I don't have squash on hand but may try just the bean portion tonight. Sounds so good for a snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so funny Debbi, because I am posting my sweet potato and black bean chili tomorrow - it looks a lot like yours and its delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum - that is my kind of food. I'm printing it and may very well have it for dinner tonight. Thanks, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could eat butternut squash every week, I love it in soups, on salads, as a sidedish...yum! I even loved it as a kid! This looks scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, this looks amazing!!! LOVE butternut squash, in fact, I'm having some tonight. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Butternut squash, cilantro, honey, black beans and tomato sauce are all on my pantry list for the Clean Out the Cupboards challenge. This is perfect! Five ingredients checked off the list with one recipe. Awesome.

    Thanks for sharing this with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi, this meal is awesome, I can tell already :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh we love squash! Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum!! Gotta love a lot of food for minimal calories! :-)

    Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think of butternut and beans as a combo, but obviously I need to think again! This looks great and what a great way to get in those veggies. Thanks Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Debbi - this sounds delicious! And it looks so pretty too. I haven't eaten dinner yet and I wish I was eating this!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is sad to admit but, I have never eaten butternut squash. Now you got me wanting to run to the store and get soem right this moment. I will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks so good! I love the how the colors dance off the plate. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your butternut squash looks just plain heavenly. Paired with the beans - I can see why it is your new favorite meal! Thanks Debbi for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. holy moly...this looks amazing! i could eat that every day too! i think i would have to add a chicken breast for hubster...but he would LOVE the beans and squash too. thank you for sharing this with tuesday night supper club...i will definitely be making this

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh goodness this looks tasty!

    I was just thinking to myself that I haven't tried butternut squash yet. Now I know exactly what recipe I'll be using when I do try it!!!

    MMmmmm! Now, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet the squash is a great complement to the beans. Yum!

    ReplyDelete