Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BBQ Cola Meatballs in the Slow Cooker



I posted this on Our Krazy Kitchen a couple of months ago.  It is a great recipe for awesome meatballs!!

These were part of my freezer cooking day. The meatballs came together in a snap then off to the freezer until I was ready for them.  I thawed them, rolled, baked, then threw them into the crock pot. 




Then I made an incredibly easy tasty sauce to throw on them in the slow cooker.


Aren't they adorable!!  These cooked up nicely and were delicious! We ate every bit of that sauce.

Submit any yogurt recipe to Biz's BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient this week!  Anything with yogurt and she'll post a round up at the end of the week!  





Barbecue Cola Meatballs
Adapted from Between the Lines

Meatballs:
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs (I used panko)
1 egg
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 (1 oz) package dry ranch style dressing mix

Sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 barbecue sauce
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup cola
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green or red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a large bowl, mix together the meatball ingredients until well blended.  Shape into meatball and place on a baking sheet.  Bake for 30 minutes at 375 turning them over half way.

Mix up the sauce ingredients in crockpot.  Remove meatballs from baking sheet and place in sauce in crock pot.  Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, then remove lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes before serving. Mine made 40 meatballs.

Total calories = 1922 calories
40 meatballs = 48 calories per meatball with sauce


7 BBQ Cola Meatballs + Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese582 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...










Chipotle Bean Burritos

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Crock Pot Wednesday at Dining with Debbie
Whatcha Makin' at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Sundays at One Food Club at Cocina Diary
Seasonal Sundays at Real Sustenance
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. I remember when you made these... I had made a mental note to try them, and then I forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe!!!! They look super tasty!!! I have meatballs in the freezer too, but since we just had swedish meatballs this week, I'll wait a week or two to try these!

    Mmmmm!

    Under the Big Oak Tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! When my sister and I catered a wedding this summer we grille chicken. The butcher told us to add come cocoa cola to the BBQ sauce, and it would help the sauce stick to the meat and add a bit of flavor that everyone would enjoy. And everyone did, these sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks very very delicious! love using cola and sprite in my recipes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so making these. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These meatballs look mouthwatering and the cola sauce...that just sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good to me I must give it a try. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cola bbq sauce, eh? i'm intrigued. And I love that this is a freezer meal! If only I had meatballs in my freezer. If. Only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sauce sounds interesting. I am sure this goes well with other meat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i havent toyed with the cola sauce in a while. Might be time for a revisit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made something with coke, either a roast or maybe meatballs. I have forgotten all about them, until you reminded me with this interesting recipe. Thanks, as usual Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The link is up on Dining With Debbie! I have no clue as to why it disappeared:( Come share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cola in the sauce??? Cool!!! Thanks for posting. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never made meatballs. Okay, I have never made a lot of things:( But this sounds like something my teen might actually eat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! These sound so tasty...love all those ingredients :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. These just sound amazing:) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried these last night and was super pleased. I used Coke Zero to cut back on the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for a great recipe.. I am making these now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the addition of the ranch dressing packet! I'm putting this on our meal plan for January.

    ReplyDelete