Saturday, January 8, 2011

Applesauce in the Slow Cooker


We actually make this quite a bit.  More often when apples are super cheap of course.  I've found that it really doesn't matter what kind of apples you use, it tastes awesome anyway.



This is awesome warm or cold.  The kids will put it on top of their ice cream. I'll pour some over some vanilla yogurt.

And then of course, topped with reddi whip works too.  :-)


Slow Cooked Applesauce

8 - 10 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced 
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. brown sugar (or to taste)
1/3 cup apple juice or cider

Mix all together in large crock pot and cook for 4 - 6 hours on low.  When tender, mash with a potato masher.  Taste and sweeten as desired. 

I've made this so many times that I don't even measure anything anymore.  It would be hard to mess it up.  :-) 

One Year Ago...




This is linked with:

11 comments:

  1. I have a slow cooker that doesn't get used nearly enough and I'm always looking for great recipes. Thanks so much for this - I grew up eating homemade applesauce but have actually never made it myself. I love the idea of using the slow cooker. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple sauce tastes great with potatoe fritters! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds yummy! I keep seeing recipes for homemade applesauce and wanting to try it. We've got apple trees we planted last year so hopefully I'll have leftovers this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up again this week! Apple sauce is one of my favorite foods, but I've never tried to make it myself before. I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale on apples so I can give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love homemade applesauce. My neighbor brings me bags and bags of apples when he comes down from New York every year. I always look forward to the pies and applesauce I get to make.
    Happy New Year a little late :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The slow cooker is my favorite way to make applesauce. After seeing your pictures, I think it is time to make applesauce again! Thanks for the reminder!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to make my own applesauce! I love the idea of putting it on yogurt. I need to break out my crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family would love this, unfortunately apple sauce is one of those things I can't handle. I think I'd like yours though because it looks a little chunky so I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you let it cook in the crock for an additional 12 hours with the lid slightly open it turns into apple butter. SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from today’s blog hop and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

    http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com
    http://btrbb.blogspot.com
    http://tawnassecret.blogspot.com

    Thanks
    Tawna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I have a cooking blog
    too. Yours is so cute!
    I'm following from the blog hop. I'd love
    a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    Mika

    ReplyDelete