Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Apple Pie Pork Chops in the Slow Cooker




Apple pie for dinner.  Really, can you think of anything better? 

This was a wonderful dish that we all enjoyed very much. 


This was also a super simple recipe!  I so love my crockpot! (I've mentioned that before, haven't I?)

I doubled the original recipe as I happened to have 8 pork chops and I like to have leftover for lunches.


The only problem was the apple part didn't fair well in the refrigerator.  The next day it was quite soft and while it still tasted okay, the texture was off.  So next time I will just make enough for dinner and skip the prospect of leftovers.

I used all splenda as the sweetener to cut the calories a lot.  You certainly could use sugar but the calorie count will be much higher. 



Apple Pie Pork Chops
Adapted from Once a Month Mom

5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups splenda
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. allspice
3 lbs. boneless pork chops (I had 8 of them)

Place pork chops in the bottom of a slow cooker. Mix splenda, flour and spices together. Add apples and stir to coat.  Dump on top of pork chops.  Cook low 6 - 8 hours or high 3 - 4 hours. 

Total calories = 2186 calories
8 servings = 273 calories per serving

One Year Ago...










Crustless Turkey Pot Pie with Quinoa

No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet & Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
What's on Your Plate at Good Cheap Eats
Crockpot Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Whatcha Makin' at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Sunday at One Food Club at Cocina Diary
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around

Linked with Ultimate Recipe Swap: Easy Recipes at Life as Mom


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

21 comments:

  1. Your excitement for your crockpot is inspiring! I just don't think to bring mine out often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look amazing! I love my crockpot too!! My kids wouldn't have dinner without it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love my slow cooker, this is a great recipe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my slow cooker ,too. Thank you for sharing this I didn't know you could make something healthy in it!(Thanks for linking up this recipe.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good! Pork with apples is such a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a good slow cooker recipe... it's so great to be able to just throw the ingredients in the pot and come back to a delicious home cooked meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pork and apples are meant to be together. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe - it looks wonderful & I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love apples with pork chops - it's just a great combination. I don't use my slow cooker a lot so I'm trying to learn to love it for more.

    Stopping by from Debbie's Crockpot Wednesday where I also posted a link to my Creole Chicken. Nice to meet ya - hope you stop by to visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too I love my crockpot and always looking for a new recipe. Saving this one; I have pork chops in the freezer calling my name;thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look amazing!!! I am gonna have to try those!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very inventive, great dinner all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a lovely dish.. i am getting hungry just looking at it. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks awesome! I am going to make this next time I have pork chops! Yumm...And I love that you use Splenda as well! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, I can't think of anything better than apple pie for dinner. These look fabulous! Pork and apples are always a great combination but this is even better with the cinnamon and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that is one way I bet my kids would eat pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am intrigued by the idea of pie for dinner...looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good. I don't use my crock pot to it's full potential. I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love my slow cooker too! This is such a terrific recipe! I almost ALWAYS cook my pork in the slow cooker b/c I'm afriad of drying it out! And what a great combo of pork and apples!

    ReplyDelete