Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Turkey Salad Wraps with Cherries





I bought some dried cherries at Costco.  They are delicious. I knew if I didn't make something with them, I'd eat the whole bag.  So what better to do than to make my favorite.  Chicken salad! 

In this case, turkey salad.  I still had a ton of 10 oz. bags of turkey leftover from the last turkey that went into the oven.  So turkey salad it was. 


My turkey was a bit dry so I think I ended up throwing in a couple of tablespoons of sour cream to moisten it more. I like goopy chicken salad anyways so that worked out well and it tasted awesome.

The cherries gave it a nice tart twist and the apple added to the crunch. It was delicious!



Turkey Salad Wraps with Cherries Recipe

10 oz. shredded cooked turkey breast
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped cucumbers
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 (6 oz) plain greek yogurt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (to taste)
Salt and pepper

In a large bowl, combine turkey, apple, celery, cucumber, onions, walnuts and cherries.  In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Add the yogurt mixture to the turkey mixture and stir until well mixed. 

Serve on whole wheat tortillas or lettuce as lettuce wraps.

I didn't write down how many tortilla wraps I got out of this. I think I got 5.  They were very hearty and low calorie! 

One Year Ago...



This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly The Kitchen Kop
What's on Your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Whatcha Makin' at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Tip Day at Around My Family Table
Ingredient Spotlight: Cherries at Eat at Home


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. This looks great! I usually use grapes and craisins. Those are also an amazing mix. I will be trying this with my leftovers. It is an easy meal! Oh, yeah, one way to make it lower in calories is to use non-fat yogurt instead of sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I never thought of using cherries before. I also loved that you put it in a wrap!! Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherries are good alternatives to cranberries. Never thought of that. I had grapes with my chicken alfredo before.. This one looks very interesting and mouthful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I was just wondering if plain yogurt would work on chicken salad. I saw on the back of my container that it could replace mayo. I'll have to look for dried cherries, as I usually use grapes and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful combinations of ingredients Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that reminds me of the cracktastic sandwich at starbucks. with taragon and cranberries! YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be keeping this in mind after Christmas, and the turkey leftovers need eating up!!! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love chicken (and turkey) salad! Sounds good with the cherries in it. Will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That looks delicious. My mom makes a very mayo-y turkey salad, but I love the lower-fat substitutions you've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious. Dried cherries make so many things taste good. Thanks for linking up today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like goopy too. You have the best wrap/tortilla ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds wonderful! Thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday!

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic idea to add cherries to chicken/turkey salad!

    ReplyDelete