Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sweet & Sour Chicken Stir Fry


Sweet and sour chicken is pretty much my favorite thing to get at any Asian restaurant. What I don't like, is not knowing what is in it.

I also tend to blow up the next day, from the salt.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love salt. I really love salt. So even though a lot of my food is not low salt but it's not as bad as many restaurants. 

So when I can make tasty food at home, I feel so much better.  


I've tried many sweet and sour sauces but this one looked different. I liked the addition of the plum sauce.

I also doubled the sauce.  We don't skimp on the sauce around here.  I did find the sauce a bit on the mild side, I think that adding some pineapple juice instead of all chicken broth would punch it up a bit.  I wish I had more broccoli to add it it as well.  I make rice for the husband but my brother and I just eat it as it is with lots of veggies.  I enjoyed this for leftovers the next day as well!


Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry Recipe

Chicken:
2 lbs. bite size chicken pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp. corn starch
1/3 cup water (maybe a bit more)

Place flour, corn starch and water in a large baggie.  Drop the chicken pieces and mix until chicken is coated.  Heat the pan with a small bit of oil, shake off as much batter as you can and brown chicken pieces in pan.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup plum sauce
1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup splenda (or sugar)
1/2 cup chicken stock (or some pineapple juice)
2 tsp. corn starch

2 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
1/2 lb. broccoli (or more)

1 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup cucumber (peeled and cut into cubes)

In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients and set aside. 

Next, heat pan with a bit of cooking spray, saute onions and pepper until starting to soften, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for a minute or so more.  Add the sauce and bring it up to a boil until it starts to thicken.  Add the chicken, pineapple and cucumber, stir until coated.

Total calories = 1978 calories
6 huge servings = 330 calories per serving


One Year Ago...



Orange Chicken










Orange Squash & Green Beans with Onions and Peppers



This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at The Tidy Mom
What's Cookin in the Kitchen at Katies Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKats Kitchen
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. This looks just like the Chinese restaurants take-out! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, I have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about highly salted food in restaurants! Your sweet and sour chicken looks wonderful - and I like the addition of the plum sauce too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought to add ketchup!

    And to answer your question, starting December 1 if you have a wordpress blog, you can opt to have your blog "snow," so yes, my blog is snowing! :D

    It's the little things that make me happy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. nicely done!
    I am a sucker for chinese take out but i cant deal with the bloat (or the toots) lol. I would be down for a make my own take out night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so yummy! I need to start making more stir frys, they are so much cheaper than take out! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarked and saved! I just hope that I can find plum sauce out here. I wonder if with substituting the pineapple juice instead of the stock if you can cut out the rest of the sugar? I will try doing that and let you know if it works. I cannot skimp on the sauce either. The Mr. like to have a mote of sauce around his food. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks better than take out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks Wonderful! Found you by way of Sandra's Cooking Thursday.

    Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks tasty and the sauce looks like it is a good consistency. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have much luck doing stir fry at home but my chicken fried rice is a hit! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good stirfry! Yours looks great--I really want to try that sweet and sour sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just made me want chinese food...and I havent had it in AGES!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sweet and sour chicken too but hate ordering it for the same reason you mentioned! So much salt. This looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are totally the same - love doubling the sauce! This sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a similar recipe and I prefer homemade sauce to store bought any day!

    http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2010/09/chicken-stir-fry.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie,
    This is a dish we cook often and never gets tired of. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks Delicious! Will print it out and give it a go, maybe instead of chicken I'll do tofu. I like to serve mine with jasmin rice!

    By the way, will you be doing the recipe for the bean and sausage cassoulet??

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am very skeptical about what I'm eating when I get chinese food too. Those little hole in the wall places have the best tasting food, but they do skeeve me out. This sounds like a great solution.... homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah I LOVE sweet and sour chicken but it's SO bad for you. I'd much rather make it at home. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks excellent, and I agree about the sauce - there's never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so delicious, can you send me some ? lol, i am a little too lazy to probably make it, but this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the nice comments on my last post, Debbi. By the way, your food looks wonderful! From a fellow Minnesotan...

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  24. OhhhMG. That looks unbelievably good! I am going to make it next week. Question: do you have to do the flour/cornstarch thing on the chicken or can you just saute them up plain? Thanks for visiting my blog -- I am thinking you are right and I will never wash my jeans again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it really. .My favorite dish was sweet and sour whether it's fish or pork, I just love it since then. Broccoli makes the dish more perfect YUM

    ReplyDelete
  26. Debbi, this looks awesome! I love sweet & sour chicken too (and sesame chicken) -- I'm so glad you brought this to Friday Potluck. I can't wait to try your sweet & sour sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet and Sour chicken is my favorite, but I also pay later for the salt. Thanks for this recipe, now I can enjoy it with out the worries. Bookmarking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sounds really good....I bet I could even get the kids to eat it. Thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Soo delicious!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! Hope to see you again this week! Also, I'd like to invite you to my Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe Party next Thursday!

    ReplyDelete