Monday, December 6, 2010

Southwestern Black Bean Pizza




I got excited when I saw this new vegetarian pizza. I'm not a vegetarian but I like to cook without meat a couple of times a week. Tonights plan was a black bean pizza. Homemade whole wheat crust, salsa, cheese, red peppers and black beans. I made the kids  a pepperoni and the husband his own pizza.



So I made 3 crusts, popped the kids' pepperoni in first and then the husbands pizza.  At this point I am REALLY hungry and eager to get mine in the oven. So I roll out the dough, place the ingredients beautifully all over the pizza until it looks perfect. It's then I realize that I forgot to prebake the crust.

Oops.

All the other pizza's I prebaked which makes it MUCH crispier and easier to slip off the pan. So I put this in the oven and when we tried to slip it off the sheet onto the rack to crisp, half of it just fell to the bottom of the oven. It wasn't pretty. Luckily I did get a picture before this happened.



So we scrapped the bottom of the oven but that didn't stop the billowing smoke from coming out of the oven. So here it is 36 degrees outside and we have the doors and windows open, the smoke detectors going off and are watching Toy Story 3 and eating pizza amidst thickening pizza smoke.

 The good news is that 1/2 of the pizza turned out great! Very tasty, not pretty but delicious. I'll for sure make it again. 

I don't know exact times for cooking.  It really depends on your way of cooking it. We have a pan for it, we prebake it for awhile and then add toppings.  Then we cook it more and then slip it off the pan to crisp up a bit.  If you have a stone, cooking time will vary I'm sure.




Black Bean Southwestern Pizza Recipe
Adapted from Fitness Magazine, Oct 2010

No Rise Crust:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet of yeast or 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup very warm water



Pizza:
1 cup salsa
4 oz. mozzarella cheese
2 oz. cheddar cheese
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, cut into slices
3 green onions, chopped
cilantro (I didn't have any)
Mix water and yeast.  Then add flour and salt and mix to combine. Roll out using extra flour if necessary to keep it from sticking. 

Prebake crust for about 8 minutes at 375.

Add toppings. Salsa first, then cheese, beans, peppers, onions, then more cheese.  Bake for another 10 minutes or so until done and crispy. 

Total calories = 1920 calories
4 servings = 480 calories per serving

Southwestern Black Bean Pizza = 480 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...








Chicken Quesadilla








Ham, Broccoli, Tomato Egg Bake





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

33 comments:

  1. I've certainly had cooking fiascos like that but at least the finished product was super tasty! I love putting mexican/southwest flavors on pizza! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great save! The pizza looks great, I will have to try this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, looks amazing! You really do come up with some awesome recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I just made some black bean pizza too, but mine is a little different than yours. I'm going to post mine soon too :) We love homemade pizza at our house and yours looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda love this! i wish I would have seen it on friday. I made a very dismal pizza LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I am not the only one that's happened to! Typically when the smoke detectors go off my daughter shouts "Mom's cooking again!"

    Glad you were able to salvage it - I would have been all over your pizza - love how pretty the red peppers look too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Biz make the best looking pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum... you know my passion for black beans

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious to me! I could totally eat that for breakfast, lunch or dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good. I'm always looking for meatless options. I never would have known that things went amok!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like my kind of dinner! I'm gonna love making it. I've visited your site several times before and I love it. I just found you on the hop and I am now following you. Please please follow me back at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous pizza, I like the Southwestern flavors here, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to put beans on pizza. And when it fell, it was because they are Mexican jumping beans...and it leapt up. (so silly...) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the mess!

    This does look like a great pizza -- I'll have to make it when the husband is away... he's not a black bean fan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea and sounds as if my teens would love it as well the first attempt at anything is always a test drive that can be improved upon so glad 1/2 of it turned out well

    ReplyDelete
  16. My stomach is growling this early in the a.m. for this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Debbi,you have truly out done yourself...I just love this Pizza. I will have it really soon. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea! Great looking pizza~

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds really good and, for me, is a whole new take on pizza. I like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i tell you...it happens to me more often that i like to admit. we eat a lot of pizza around here..and sometimes i don't get a good hold of it and it ends up on the bottom of the oven! this looks so yummy--full of lots of good things. you are so lucky your kids will eat such a variety of stuff. thank you for linking it up to tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks delicious! I love mexican pizza! Sorry you had the mishap and lost half of yours. Didnt hubby have to share? hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your story - we all have these little kitchen disasters from time to time, don't we, and so often they are the things that taste the best. Sure looks pretty good, anyway :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sure looks beautiful in the pictures anyway! And what a healthy and delicious sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great story! That is how many of my kitchen adventures go.

    The pizza looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pizza is my kind of meal. My fav! I just made pizza last night actually. I also prebake my crusts. Not because it's crisp, I actually prefer my crust softer, but because I don't have to worry about a doughy middle. There is nothing worse than eating uncooked pizza dough, uck! So precooking is a must in my house as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really looks amazing. Love the pictures.
    I have a gluten free crust that would work perfectly with this beautiful healthy topping. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a delicious idea!
    I'm going to have to try this.

    I full believe that thin crust pizza is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cooking is always an adventure. Whether trying a new dish or scraping it off the bottom of your oven. You never know what the outcome will be.

    Glad you were able to salvage half your pizza. It looks delicious.

    Thanks for sharing it with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  29. Debbi - I think it is a right of pizza passage to have a mishap like yours - LOL - thankfully part of the pizza was salvageable. I like vegetarian pizzas too - even though I am no vegetarian! Thanks for sharing your story and recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love black beans - what a great way to add fiber to a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am a pizza lover...any sorts, bring it on! This looks amazing :-) I added it to my roundup already!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so good! Loving the meatless options!

    ReplyDelete