Thursday, December 16, 2010

Southwest Roast with Baked Potatoes



Slow cookers are the greatest.  I think that I first really learned how to cook in a slow cooker.  I tend to burn things or over cook them. The slow cooker is fairly dummy proof so I learned a lot of things when I started cooking in there.  Then it was just a matter of figuring out what flavors work and what doesn't.


This is one of those super simple dump and go recipes.  I used frozen corn, onions and peppers but Stephanie used a can of mexicorn.  That would make it even more simple.


We ate this over baked potatoes the first night.  I continued to eat if for lunch for several days. It made a LOT of food!  My brother ate some on a tortilla and I ate it as like a stew for lunch with some homemade tortilla chips. 


Southwest Roast with Baked Potatoes Recipe
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

2 1/2 lb chuck roast
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 small/medium onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 can rotel with green chiles, undrained

Trim off any visible nasty fat off the roast. Throw it in the crock pot.  Chuck in the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for about 8 - 10 hours.  Shred meat, stir to combine and serve over baked potatoes.

*Instead of the corn, onion and red pepper, you could use a can of mexicorn.

One Year Ago...












Sweet & Spicy Chicken with Broccoli

This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursdays at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Crockpot Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

21 comments:

  1. I am stopping by from Things I love Thursdays at Diaper Diaries. Oh my heck this look delicious and simple to make. I love my crock pot! I am your newest follower and would love a follow back on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious - love that you served it over a baked potato too - just needs some Tabasco! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and I love all the different ways you can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fabulous. I have some leftover pork that would even work for this and I love the versatility. What a great cold weather meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow cooked meat is seriously one of the best things known to man. This sounds delicious! Love the southwest flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always make such delicious-looking (and tasting, i'm sure) southwestern flavored meals! This would be good with some melty cheese on top too...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbi,
    Your roast looks delicious all warm and cozy. Thank you for sharing your recipe and hope you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love easy recipes and my favorite are the ones in the slow cooker. Not only is there less to clean up but I am always overcooking my meat. Some how I get distracted by something, walk off and remember dinner cooking when I smell something burning. This looks really good and versatile too, I bet it would be good over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi....nice blog! found you from another persons blog I was commenting on. Making a crockpot meal for dinner myself tonight! BBQ chicken...yup, dump and go...what could be better! come visit my blog if you can!
    www.mykitchenadventures1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always looking for a new way to make roast. This looks like a great twist! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also love the slow cooker. This looks like an amazingly delicious recipe!! Thanks for your sweet words. You made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely love my slow cooker! This recipe will definitely be on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love any recipe I can put in the slow cooker. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must get my slow cooker out again. This looks mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with my slow cooker too - especially when it comes to cooking meat! Nothing compares. How tasty this is - good idea to serve it over a potato!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my slow cooker and this looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love my crock-pot and I'm looking for recipes that will be easier for me. I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drooling on my keyboard! Can't wait to make this. Thanks for linking up at Tip Day Thursday. Link up anytime.


    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love simple delicious recipes and this one looks amazing. I would love for you to link this or any of your recipes to my recipe blog hop. http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2011/01/cuban-style-picadillo.html

    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete