Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Southwest Potato Hash



I know, I seem to be posting many tex mex inspired recipes.  I just love the flavors! We eat them often around here.


I've made these green chili cheddar eggs before and just love them!  When I saw the hash, I knew they would complement each other perfectly!  I was right.  I'm pretty sure that I used much more potato than the original recipe.  I think this would be a great recipe to just throw in whatever you have on hand. 


I had a LOT of the potato mixture leftover so I ate it for lunch several days with a over hard fried egg. 

We ate this for dinner but it would make a great weekend brunch!


Southwest Potato Hash
Adapted from Ellie Krieger

2 1/2 lbs. potatoes, cut into small pieces
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
2 tomatoes diced (I used a pint of cherry tomatoes)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Place the potatoes in large non-skillet.  Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.  Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.  Drain and set potatoes aside.

Dry the pan, add some cooking spray and heat.  Add the onions and peppers and cook until vegetables have softened, about 6 minutes.  Stir in the potatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder.   Add the tomatoes and beans, mix and simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in cilantro. 

Total calories = 1400 calories
8 servings = 175 calories per serving

Green Chili Cheddar Eggs + Southwestern Hash = 311 calories


To get the recipe for these delicious green chile eggs, go to my post on Our Krazy Kitchen. 

One Year Ago...











Italian Slow Cooker Chicken














Shredded BBQ Chicken with Creamy Coleslaw


This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works For Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom
Recipe of the Week at Family Fresh Meals
BSI: Potatoes at My Bizzy Kitchen


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. YUM, a cafe in our town serves a similar dish, now I can make my own. Thanks Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to be a HUGE fan of hashbrowns, I just can't get enough fried potato! Yum, I'm seriously going to make this one soon. Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love breakfast food anytime of day, this looks like it would make a hearty breakfast-for-dinner meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had a potato hash in years, thanks for the reminder. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tex mex flavors are the best so keep em coming! I love having eggs for dinner and this hash sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! This looks so good! I'll be right over for leftovers....in my mind! :) Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie Krieger is a genius. I tried her rasp french toast bake once and was addicted to it. I had to give it away because i was about to eat the pan... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My stomach is rumbling after looking at this! I'm going to print it out, along with the green chili eggs, and put it on next week's menu.

    I went on the recipe index to print out some more recipes and every one that I clicked on I got the message that the page does not exist??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hash browns, and I must admit I've been craving McDonald's hash browns for about a week now. I thought I'd have a chance at the airport this past weekend when I traveled, but I got there right after breakfast hours were over . . . sniff . . . anyway, your hash browns look perfect and I'm sure would be much healthier. Maybe they can take care of my craving. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Tex Mex flavors! Your hash looks amazing! Great idea as a side for eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this and for linking up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! We also love tex-mex and hash....so I can't wait to try this. Thanks for a great recipe.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea. .I'd definitely try this out one day.
    Really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm...there's definitely something about a southwesterny hash that hits me the right way! :)

    ReplyDelete