Monday, December 20, 2010

Pizza Soup in the Slow Cooker


This is a family favorite.  I've been making it ever since Stephanie first posted it!  We've adapted it quite a lot to suit our family.  My little one loves pasta but isn't too much of a soup fan. 


I add a LOT of noodles to this and it ends up more like a casserole than it does a soup.  It resembles a soup the first day but the leftovers are completely like a casserole. 


So if you're looking for more of a soup, go ahead and add less noodles. It would be a much lighter soup that way too.  Meanwhile, I'll make the kids happy and continue making it casserole style. Either way, I get to make it in my slow cooker which always works for me!



Pizza Soup Recipe



2 cans (15 oz) pizza sauce
4 empty cans of water
2 green peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 pt. baby tomatoes, cut in quarters
1 lb. mild Italian sausage
2 - 3 cups pepperoni, sliced in quarters (6 oz)
1 tbsp. basil
2 tbsp. oregano
14.5 oz box of rotini, (use about 1/2 of this if you want it soupier)
Mozzarella cheese (optional, not included in calorie count)


Total calories = 4305 calories
14 cups = 308 calories per serving

One Year Ago...








Ham, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Burritos









Sweet Slow Cooker Baked Beans

This is linked with:
Delicious Dishes at It's A Blog Party
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday at Dr. Lauras Adventures

This is also my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at Once Upon A Feast.
Also to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

37 comments:

  1. Great idea, pizza soup, it looks delicious and very hearty! I would love a big bowl of this, so cold, this would go over big with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fabulous but I think I will have to make the pizza sauce. Not sure if it is available here. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, and nice it can be adapted to please everyone, thanks. I need to make some "pizza" flavored foods that are not actually pizza, I think I am missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at pizza! Love this one - I need to go back to Stephanie's site - and use my crock pot more!

    Have a great Monday Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to remember to use my crock pot more often! This looks delicious.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good! My little one doesn't care for soup either... but loves pasta.. so I would probably make it more casserole like too. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that seems too yummy to be only 308 calories per serving. I would probably eat about 3 servings...thats my biggest problems, portion control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always wonderful to find foods that the kids will eat without equivocation. Actually, I don't blame them. This sounds great. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does look good. I never thought about turning pizza into a soup but I can see how it is a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious!! I am definitely going to be trying this - pizza is something I definitely have been missing since I've gone healthy.
    BTW, I just wanted to tell you that I tried your butternut squash soup and it was divine! It made enough for an army, but that was a good thing because we were all fighting for who got to take it for lunch. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PIzza anything is fabulous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I can't wait to try this. My kids don't like pizza, but Im going to make it anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful, not only would I love it but so would my little girl. Nice dinner here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always looking for good crock pot recipes and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, please! Pizza and soup combined...that's sure to please in this house. sounds awesome, Debbi :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!!! Hope you are feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love crock pot recipes! How cool that you can serve it like a thick soup one day and a casserole the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous slow cooker recipe. My family loves pizza and pasta....what's not to love in this dish???

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds amazing. Soup imy hubby will love. Thanks. I am bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea. It sounds so delicious. After all of the rich holiday foods I always crave things like this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deb I am printing this right now. We make a lasagna soup that is quite similar. I like my soup more casserole like too. When I was young I crushed enough crackers into every soup my mom served to make it a casserole and I still like thick, thick, thick.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! I make a taco soup and the kids love it. I have a feeling that they would love this too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You had me at pizza also. I would eat it either way soup or casserole. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Pizza Soup looks really good warm and inviting. Thank you for sharing and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmm I'll take pizza any way I can get it! Even better if it's a slow cooker meal!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds wonderful and great for the winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an easy going meal and so versatile. You can add or take out anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks fantastic! I love that it tastes great without being overly heavy. mmm. pizza.

    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Debbi,
    Just stopping by today to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is one to bookmark but then, most of yours are.

    I know this is NOT the one you posted on MMM but let me thank you for the link. I never know when my computer is going to give me a hard time and stop.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OH goodness I will be making this soon! Thanks my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pizza soup???? How awesome?! The only thing my kids love more than pizza? Soup!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Made this for dinner, with the extra pasta and my family LOVED it!! Thanks and it is very simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i am getting ready to head out to a big dinner at my folks house and all i can think of is how i would rather stop by your place for a bowl of this! thank you for sharing this crazy good recipe with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks filling and comforting and good--no wonder it is a family favorite. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a good idea for when one can't decide between pizza & pasta. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. A great comfort dish if ever there was one - and very little effort!

    ReplyDelete