Thursday, December 30, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese



Comfort food at it's finest.

This stuff is amazing. I seriously had to control myself.  Granted, it is a light version of mac and cheese but still, it's pasta and cheese. 


I loved the onion, garlic puree as a thickener.  It added perfect flavor.  I don't think I'll make mac and cheese any other way.  The only thing I might do is mix up the cheeses. I do think that cheddar is my favorite but there are so many different kinds of cheese that it's fun to mix it up sometimes. 

I chose to leave bread crumbs off of it.  I just sprinkled the top with some parmesan cheese and it browned up nicely.




Mac and Cheese Lite Recipe
Adapted from Now Eat This - Rocco DiSpirito

8 oz. elbow noodles, whole wheat
1 cup onion/garlic puree (see below)
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cayenne
5 oz. cheddar cheese
1 - 6 oz. nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 cup grated parmesan (divided)

**Garlic/Onion Puree
Combine 1 large sweet onion, 9 garlic cloves, (rough chopped) and 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 10 minutes.  Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.  Can be stored in the fridge for several days.

Mac and cheese:
Cook macaroni according to directions, drain and set aside.

Bring 1 cup of onion/garlic puree, mustard and cayenne to a simmer, stirring often.  Whisk in the cheddar until melted.  Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.  Toss with the macaroni and season with salt and pepper.  Mix in 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.  Pour the mixture into n 8 x 8 in. pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.  Bake in oven at 425 about 10 - 13 minutes until heated through and top is slightly golden. 

Total calories = 2062 calories
6 servings = 344 calories per serving

One Year Ago...










Cilantro Egg Salad Sandwiches

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted this week by Chez Cayenne.  Link up your favorite pasta dishes!

This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Foodie Friday at Designs By Gollum
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Moms Unite
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin in the Kitchen at Katies Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet & Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner Mom?
Midnitght Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

32 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds great! I've only been a a follower for a few days, and when I read the headline I was all ready to delete this blog from my reading list... I thought, "Girl, you can't have any kind of temptation like that". But after reading the recipe, it seems not that bad at all, so... thanks for sharing! I love pasta, and I sure do love cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I just love Mac N Cheese and this recipe with the Greek Yogurt will be so good. Thank you for sharing and you and your family have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could kiss you for this. I want it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful recipe, it certainly doesn't look like a light version, it looks scrumptious. I always have Greek yogurt in the house too, what a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light mac & cheese? I'm in! This sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I cannot wait to try a new lightened version of my favorite comfort food. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the puree this sounds divine, happy happy happy nwe year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOH....I can already think of a few uses for the onion/garlic puree!! Thanks so much for the idea and the inspiration! PS: Mac and cheese looks GOOOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm...new follower after finding you through Recipe Swap. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mac and cheese is definitely one of the best comfort foods. Love this lightened up version. Ellie Krieger has a great recipe that subs some of the cheese with winter squash (you can tell it's lighter, but there is no squash taste!). [It was actually the very first recipe I ever blogged about over 2 years ago!]

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mac & cheese. Thanks for making it light. Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Believe me, after all the overindulging we did this past week, a little low fat mac & cheese is just what the doctor ordered. I love that this recipe calls for Greek Yogurt too! Thanks for sharing it.

    :)
    ButterYum
    PS - Rocco's Mamma's meatloaf is a family favorite of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What! Healthy Mac&Cheese? I'm going to have to try this out!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yummy!! I need a good mac and cheese recipe for the kids. I get tired of the stuff in the blue box. This sounds wonderful and I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got me with the onion garlic puree. Oh, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right; macaroni cheese is a lovely comfort food. I haven't made this for ages but I think my DD would love it for lunch; thanks so much for the inspiration and sharing your recipe - using yogurt is different for me so I'll give this a go :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the garlic and onion puree and the Greek yogurt in there. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This Mac & Cheese recipe sounds like it is full of flavor. I am going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love this idea with the onion and garlic! Those are two of my go-to ingredients I add to just about everything. I always have tons of them on hand. Thanks for sharing! Happy New YEAr!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good old mac and cheese. Gotta love it! Many thanks for sharing at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I plan to make Bittman's mac and cheese, this week but you are tempting me with this one. So yummy.

    If you have made a Bittman recipe. come on over Thurday and link it up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just made mac n' cheese from scratch for the first time, but I like the idea of a lightened up one even better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love Rocco and Mac & Cheese...the only thing better would to have him at my house making it. LOL! Thanks for linking up to TDT. Would love to have you stop by anytime.

    Please note the new web addy and rss feed.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great recipe Debbie. The Cookin' kids would love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, now I'm seriously craving Mac 'n' Cheese. Thanks for sending this over to Presto Pasta Nights!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nothing like a good mac 'n cheese to calm the nerves. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The garlic-onion puree sounds like something I'w love. Anything garlicky is for me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd probably want to just spoon up that onion garlic puree by itself. Your version of mac 'n cheese sounds like a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have made many mac cheese casseroles over the years but never thought of the rich addition of Greek yogurt. Fantastc idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, what a great alternative to a traditional mac 'n' cheese. Love the idea of using Greek yoghurt :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete