Thursday, December 9, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwiches




I make grilled cheese sandwiches all the time.  My kids love them.  The daycare kids love them.  So it is pretty much a staple meal around here. 

I don't eat them too often.  While they are delicious, I would rather save my bread and cheese for something more better. 


This sandwich is the exception.  The simple addition of apple turns it into something completely different. I sometimes will add just a bit of mustard but usually like to keep it just like this.  Apples and cheese.


I sometimes will vary the cheese but almost always use Fuji apples.  They are my favorite. 

We ate our sandwiches with a most delicious butternut squash soup.  A very satisfying meal!


Grilled Apple & Cheddar Sandwich Recipe

6 pieces of bread (mine was 55 calories a slice)
3 slices cheddar cheese (1 oz. a piece)
1 apple (I used fugi), sliced into thin slices
6 tsp. butter

Butter each slice of bread with a teaspoon of butter.  Place butter side down on hot pan, top with 1 slice of cheese and layer with 1/3 of the apples.  Place bread on top, butter side up.  Cook until browned, flip and brown on the other side. 

Total calories = 968 calories
3 sandwiches = 323 calories per sandwich

Butternut Squash Soup + Cheese & Apple Sandwich = 562 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...













Spinach Lentil Meatloaf & Sweet & Sour Coleslaw



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

29 comments:

  1. So, Debbi, I'm drooling over this sandwich. Grilled cheese has always ranked high on the comfort food list for me, and I think apples & cheese are made for each other. So, a sandwich with both is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good, not something I would have come up with! I also do not usually eat grilled cheese, but this will turn that around. My daughter had a grilled cheese "bar" for a brunch she hosted. Different breads, cheeses and fillers like your sliced apples. It was a hit. Thanks for sharing this great sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grilled cheese apple sandwiches! I recently started adding a little cranberry chutney into the mix...yum! You have me wishing we had apples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds good, I will be making those very soon. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbi,
    I just love this sandwich. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grilled cheese with mustard! I will have to try it with apples! PB and apple sandwiches are yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do look more better! Especially when you mentioned mustard. Never tried that, but I love mustard in cheese sauces so why not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of the apple to make them a little more nutritious! Looks SO good with all that gooey cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the apple cheese combo - I usually make mine open face, but I like your idea better - and next time I am going add mustard - that is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am salivating over this sandwich!!! I'll have to try adding apple next time I make a grilled cheese. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought of adding apple...must try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I hadn't just eaten lunch. I would have made this apple and cheese sandwich for sure. Tomorrow!!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never would have thought to combine those two. I love getting new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a must try still for me...I keep forgetting

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my faves too! Looking to try brie and pear too, doesn't that sound divine!?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a new take on grilled cheese. SOunds great, I may just try this tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a grilled cheese sandwich but don't eat it very often. Never added apples to it but sounds wonderful! Will have to give it a try.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love grilled cheese and apple!
    Hope you can come check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great twist on a grilled cheese...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love grilled cheese so much, this add of apple is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it, Debbi! Grilled cheese is where it's AT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum....i am loving the combination of cheese and apple. Will have to have a dabble with one of these at the weekend Debs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the combination you have used here. Your sandwiches sound delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great recipe! Thanks Debbie for sharing on Tasty Traditions. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know, I've added ham and tomato to grilled cheese sandwiches, but never apple! Now I must try it! Great idea!

    We also had butternut squash soup for dinner! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a nice idea. I will try this the next time we hvae grilled cheese. Mm mm!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We love, love, love grilled cheese sammies are always looking for ways to make them more "grown-up". Thanks for linking up Tip Day Thursday. Please feel free to link up anytime.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum! Where the heck is my toaster oven?! I need one of these now... Guess it's time to whip out the skillet... now, have I unpacked that yet? lol

    ReplyDelete