Monday, December 13, 2010

Fruit & Berry Crisp




I've made apple crisp, but mix it with peaches,  pears and raspberries?  Oooh baby!  The combination is superb!


I seriously couldn't get enough of it.  We ate about 1/3 of it and off it went to a friends house!  I was afraid I'd eat the whole thing. 

Naturally we ate this over ice cream.  Not that it needed anything else.  I could have just sat on the couch with a fork and been a happy camper. 


It had to have been healthy, right?  All that fruit?  Actually, calories wise, it didn't come out bad at all.  Many desserts are much worse. 

I also would have put Splenda in it if I was keeping the whole thing here to eat. Her family doesn't eat Splenda so I respectively didn't put it in but it would have saved a ton of calories and still been delicious! 



Fruit & Berry Crisp Recipe

4 large  peaches
4 large pears
4 large apples, I used fuji
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups plus 2 - 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 pint of raspberries
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/4 lb. cold unsalted butter, diced

Peel the peaches, pears and apples, slice them into thick wedges and place them into a large bowl.  Add the orange and lemon zest, 1/4 granulated sugar, 1/2 cup  brown sugar and 2 tbsp. flour.  Toss well.  Gently mix in the raspberries.  Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, add another tablespoon of flour.  Pour the mixture into a 10 x 15 in. baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, oatmeal and the cold, diced butter in the bowl.  Mix using both hands until the butter is pea sized and the mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly on the top of the fruit.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 until the top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. 

Total calories = 4370 calories
16 servings = 273 calories per serving

**Note, you could totally use Splenda in this to cut the calories a lot.  If I wasn't taking this to a friend, I would have used splenda instead of granulated sugar. 

One Year Ago...

Sweet Cinnamon French Toast




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

35 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! I love warm fruit crisp! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good!!! My husband is the biggest crisp fan I know....he would be VERY happy if I made this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crisps are one dessert that I find it really hard to control myself around. Love this combo! Peaches and raspberries are definite favorites of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mixture of all the fruits!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Less than 300 cals??? impressive! I love it.
    Craving a warm apple crisp with a scoop of vanilla yogurt on top! YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you goobled this up quickly! It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that looks awesome. I'd have had to give it the heave ho too, because I would have continued going back for more. And more. More more! I printed the recipe - and your fruit combo does sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have easily eaten every last bit of this crisp. My favorite type of dessert. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never met a crisp I haven't liked! Looks delicious Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband will be thanking you for this friday night! I'd love if you'd link up on Menu Inspiration Monday!

    http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2010/12/menu-inspiration-monday-chicken-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my husbands favorites is a peach crisp, and I love the additions of the other fruits! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mouth is watering from just reading the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all kinds of fruit crisps, this one sounds unique and worth a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this one sounds like a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this is my kind of dessert! I agree with the whole "not using splenda" thing. There are plenty of extremely low calorie natural sweeteners like agave nectar and stevia for staters - food for thought. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a fabulous day, Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debi! I LOVE this just the way you made it! It is the love and the friendship and all that GREAT fruit that does make it healthy! I adore fruit crisps more than anything ELSE dessert wise. Very cool! Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop. All the best and save me a slice! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  17. my gosh i can imagine how delicious this make tastes with all the fruity goodness! all my fav fruits in one! must be divine with a scoop of icecream too :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only way I like apples is in a crisp. Never liked apple pie that much. So I would LOVE mixing other fruits with apples in your crisp, Debbie. Peaches especially. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yes...I love the combo of peaches and raspberries...everything else is just icing on the cake---er,ah---crisp!! Sounds delicious, Debbi :D Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbi, this would also make a great breakfast, cause that is how I roll on some days! Thanks looks so good and the zest in there is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debbi,
    This is a great combination. I think I am going to try it with some of my Blackberries from last years harvest that I have in the freezer. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing! I would eat it for breakfast too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love fruit crisps - and yours looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it!!! I usually always switch out with Sugar Substitute also. Nice of you to skip since they don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! This sounds so comforting! I love fruit crisp!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love a good crisp or cobbler. Smart girl to send it off to someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so tasty and healthy! I say berries add oomph to anything!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea! Sounds so yummy! Fruit Crisps have been on my mind too lately. Must be the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love fruit crisps and this one really sounds delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love fruit crisps too! i could take a fork to this and then be 4000 calories in the hole! i will have to try this with splenda just for safety's sake!
    thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds delicious! I made an apple-pear cobbler for thanksgiving dessert and your recipe sounds very similar! Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Let me know if you try the banana pudding recipe. I would love to hear how it turns out! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That looks delicious. I am somehow reminded of summer too, and that's a welcome reminder amidst all this cold wind!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Apple crisp is my old standby, but after seeing this I really need to branch out. Mister loves peaches and would devour this! I would relish the pears.

    Such a good idea.

    Thanks for sharing this with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  34. Am I missing something? What temp did you bake this at? 325? 350?

    It looks really good though... I'm going to try it with blueberries instead of raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I baked this at 350, I just added it to the recipe, thanks for catching that! :-)

    ReplyDelete