Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cuban Quesadillas



I first had (and heard of) a cuban when I was out with the girls.  We were talking, lauging and having a good time and I completely forgot to even open my menu.  When the waitress came to take our order, I was scrambling.  On the top of the list was A CUBAN SANDWICH. 

I said "What's a Cuban?"

My friend next to me said, it's good, you should get it.  So I did. 


When I got my sandwich, I was at first disappointed. It had mustard and while I don't hate it, I'm not much of a mustard fan. Then I saw it had pickle. Again, pickles have their place, but not on a sandwich in my book.


The rest looked good so I went ahead and dove in.

Oh my oh my!!  This was GOOD!  I couldn't believe how the flavors went so well together. 


When I got home, I told my mustard and pickle loving husband how awesome this sandwich was. He of course called me an idiot for not even knowing what a cuban was! 


We of course put everything on a tortilla around her so of course, I had to make a cuban quesadilla.  It is seriously awesome.  Again, the flavors go SO well together and it just WORKS!  Yea!

We ate this with a fantastic Summer Squash Corn Chowder that I posted on Our Krazy Kitchen.  



Cuban Quesadilla Recipe
Adapted from Taste and Tell

1 1/2 pound boneless pork chops
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper
8 tablespoons spicy brown mustard, plus more for serving
8 whole wheat 100 calorie tortillas
8 ounces thinly sliced baked ham
3 to 4 dill pickles, chopped
4 ounces shredded cheese, I had cheddar

Cut pork chops into thin strips.  Cook pork, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper in cooking spray until pork is done and onions are soft. 

Assemble quesadillas.  Toast on tortilla on both sides on a pan.  Place mustard, pickles, 2 tbsp. cheese, pork, onions and 1 slice of ham on 1/2 of the tortilla.  Fold in half and cut into thirds. 

Total calories = 2485 calories
311 calories per quesadilla

Cuban Quesadilla + Squash & Corn Chowder Soup = 509 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...







Chicken, Bacon and Cheese Wraps





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

16 comments:

  1. THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER!!! Cuban in quesadilla form?! LOOOKS SOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious... i think i'l replace pork with chicken.. it would be great..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome idea! We're constantly trying to come up with new ways to eat a quesadilla - it's such an awesome hand-held food. This is going on my menu for next week - I'll let you know how ours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you sure make eating healthy look easy!
    Thanks for linking up with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not one for putting pickles and mustard on my sandwich either but I would totally try this! Love the idea of a quesadilla too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such great ideas for things to put on tortillas. And I'm a big fan of that--putting things on/in tortillas and your ideas! Anything wrapped in tortillas is pretty much my lunch standard. I happen to love both mustard and pickles, so I know this would be a winner with me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the idea of a Cuban in a wrap!!! Thanks as always for your great recipes and healthy ideas!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Cubans are one of my all time favorite sammiches!!! Sounds amazing in a tortilla, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to transform a sandwich into a quesadilla! I'm also impressed with your discipline in always providing a calorie count.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea a Cuban quesadilla! We have all kinds of place down here that sell Cubans. The best was this little place that was run by this little old Cuban lady that made everything herself. It was right across the street from where my husband worked so we had it often when I would visit him for lunch! Yum!

    I feel the same way you do about pickles on sandwiches...especially hot sandwiches! But I will eat them on a Cuban! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Cuban in a tortilla, such a great idea! Looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had a true Cuban either. I think that I had some sort of Cuban sandwich at panera bread but I don't remember it being anything like this. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, what a good idea. I've never made a Cuban sandwich at home, but they are good.

    ReplyDelete