Friday, December 10, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup with Apple & Beans

This soup rocked my world.  I just bought some more white beans so I can make it again.  It is so healthy and super filling that I could eat it all the time.  It got better and better as it sat in the frig too. Don't you love that about soup?

I broke this down into 6 servings below because I didn't measure how many cups there were. I have a feeling there were more like 8 - 10 cups so a 6th of this would be a huge bowl.  I know that I had a huge bowl, I gave some to a friend, my brother ate some and I had it for 2 lunches. 

We ate this with an awesome grilled cheese & apple sandwich.  Not that it needed anything else, I would have been fine with just eating this! 

Butternut Squash & Bean Soup
Adapted from Fitness Magazine Oct 2010

1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp. curry powder
2 1/2 lbs. diced butternut squash
2 apples, peeled and cut into bite size chunks, I used granny smith
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 (15 oz) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups vegetable broth

In a pan, sprayed with cooking spray, cook onion and curry powder for about 4 - 6 minutes until softened.  Add the butternut squash, apples, thyme, white beans, salt and broth, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cook until squash is very tender about 15 minutes. 

Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender until almost smooth.  I used an immersion blender and kept it with a few chunks. 

Total calories = 1433 calories
6 servings = 239 calories

Grilled Cheese with Apple + Butternut Squash Soup =  562 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...

Turkey Primavera

This is linked with:
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet & Savory
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac
Countdown to 2011: Soups and Stews at Finding Joy in my Kitchen

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. Wow Debbi, this looks DELISH!!! And with the grilled apple cheese??? YUM! Have a great day!!!

  2. Yummy! I love butternut squash. I'd never had it until I started making my own baby food. I always tested everything they ate, if I thought it was gross I was not going to make them eat it. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was! I'm putting this on my "recipes to try" list. Thanks for sharing!

  3. Butternut makes the very best soup ever but I have never put beans in mine. Diane

  4. This soup looks SO good and sounds good as well with the apple! My husband is not a squash fan, so I can't make it very often... but I dream of it in between!

  5. WHat a great combination of ingredients!!

  6. Butternut squash is my favourite of all the squashes. Creamy and delicious!

  7. Lovely soup and yes always better a few days out...if it lasts that long.

  8. The last time I made butternut squash soup, I roasted the butternut squash in the oven with the peeled apples - the apples almost carmelized in the oven for an extra special flavor - love the idea of adding curry powder!

    Have a great weekend Debbi!

  9. Yum! This looks really amazing. I'm going to be making it this weekend, along with the grilled cheese and apple sandwich - a perfect dinner for our impending cold weather!

  10. Oh wow, this does sound really yummy. We all love soup. I'll be trying this out.

  11. Debbi, this soup is such a departure from those already shared across the blogworld. This one I will try. Until now, I have not run across a butternut squash soup that looked like I should try it, thanks.

  12. I just saw your comment on Michele's blog, and as a fellow Minnesotan, I had to come on over and say "hi" to you. I also just posted on my blog about how I used to handle "snow days"--with lots of comfort foods. Not today, though! BTW, your squash soup looks amazing! I will try it for sure.

    Take care and keep warm and safe.

  13. I've been eating lots of butternut squash lately and I'm getting into making soups so this is right on time! It looks delicious. Thanks. I'm interested in what you adapted from the original recipe.

  14. I've never added beans to butternut soup - what a greta idea!

  15. I love the combo of butternut and beans! Delicious!

  16. Fabulous. We've been having butternut squash soup at Thanksgiving for a few years now and I have to be careful not to fill up on it. It is so good, but the apples would even make it better. I'd love this with some country wheat bread and maybe some fruit salad. Perfect meal!

  17. I DO love that about soup...and love the combo of squash and white beans, too. This sounds great. Add another one to the "list" ;)

  18. This has all the earmarks of an outstanding soup. I'll have to give this a try. It looks wonderful. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

  19. I love the combination of ingredients in this one--it looks really delicious. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

  20. Your soup looks delicious. I'm going to have to put it on my list to try. I came over from Midnight Maniac. I clicked on your photo when I saw your soup and also I saw that you have the same bowl as me:) You can't tell from the photo, but my photo on my blog today is using that bowl, too. It looks black but it's really brown. Kind of funny that coincidence:) Have a great day!

  21. Ohhhh Debbi! I have some kabochas that need to get eaten up and I think I know how!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

  22. I love your use of butternut squash -- yum, yum!

    Thanks for sharing this recipe!