Monday, December 27, 2010

Bean & Sausage Cassoulet



I've already made this twice.  It was that good. It's on the higher side of calories per portion but it was super filling.  It was wonderful to have this is the refrigerator for lunches all week. 


I don't cook with sausage too often but I happened to have 2 packages of sausages.  Which is why I ended up making this twice.  I could probably drop the calories by adding chicken instead but the sausage was SOOOO good!  I also loved the slight tang from the red wine.  You could use beef broth but I encourage the red wine as it tasted wonderful!




Bean and Sausage Cassoulet Recipe

1 (15 oz) can of black beans
1 (15 oz) can of white beans
1 (15 oz) can of red kidney beans
1 lb. turkey sausage, diagonally sliced
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 large onion, sliced into rings
1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients in an ungreased 3 qt. casserole dish. Cover and bake until carrots are tender, about 1 hour or until hot and bubbly. 


Total calories = 3320 calories
8 servings = 415 calories per serving


One Year Ago...










Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip

This is linked with: 
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Menu Inspiration Monday at The Big Red Pot
Delicious Dishes at It's A Blog Party
Tuesdays at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth n Soul at Girlichef
Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace
Ingredient Spotlight: Wine at Eat at Home


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

28 comments:

  1. Hearty, warm and yummy! I would love some for the dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cassoulet and this sounds like a yummy recipe to me. Hope you had a good Christmas Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, without the onions I am all over this dish! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! This would be great right now for those cold winter days. It looks like a good comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Turkey Sausage and this sounds sooo good! Thanks for linking up!

    http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2010/12/menu-inspiration-monday-chicken.html#

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how wonderful, this is something I could heat up everynight for dinner in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbi,
    Your Cassoulet looks very good. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbi, this looks really good and it's going on my to do list. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful - and sounds like a nice way to warm up on a cold day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you made this dish twice. I am glad you stuck with the sausage, the chicken would not have been the same.

    Happy New Year to you and your family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debbi! Thanks so much for your input...I really appreciate it! I SO wanted to use Right Hand Ma'am...but there is already someone else using that name for a personal assistant business in my area. So disappointing!! Dwayne suggested "Last Minute Ma'am" along the thoughts of people needing help with errands and such that might pop up at the last minute. Considering every name I've come up with in the last 2 weeks was taken, I just went with his suggestion since it wasn't already taken! Again, thanks so much for offering your input! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a tasty meal, I agree the red wine is the key. Thanks Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely have periods where I just CRAVE sausage and I find it's best to just give into them. A once in a while indulgence can't hurt! Love the sound of this! Plus all that sausage is balanced out by all those beans! And that is what I shall tell myself as I eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cassoulet - this looks incredible! I like mine with sausage too it adds such great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few too many beans for me, but that's me.....

    Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays!

    I have a couple of blogs:

    Come on home

    Blogging Biz Mom blog

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like perfect winter weather comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think sausage is probably what makes this so filling, but I may try this with chicken,also.
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sausage would be sooo good. I'll bet the red wine is an important step too! Thanks so much for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to try this out. Sometimes I just crave sausage and beans. Your recipe looks extra good and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so wonderfully hearty and delicious for this time of year. Yum! I have a soup for Italian sausage and tortellini that is absolutely wonderful. I don't know what it is about sausage this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never made anything like this before. Looks really good and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made a similar soup one day last week. So filling is right!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I HATE BEANS!!!!! But I went to the store to get the stuff to make it because my husband loves beans and sausage. And I made it tonight. And I REALLLLLLLY like it, I can't believe it. I do not like casseroles but everything I have tried off of your site, and the fact that it is good for us is a bonus. Thank you for another great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmmm! I've been wanting to make cassoulet lately...and this sounds like a fairly simple to make version...bookmarked! Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week, Debbi :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! this looks amazing...and i love all the goodness in it. i know it is a bit more caloric, but it is filled with such good things. i am sorta envious that you have already had this twice and i have yet to even try it:) thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been waiting for this recipe!! We've been on a chourico kick lately and I may just make this using chourico instead.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE THIS DISH!!! I made it yesterday and the only thing I changed was I used chicken hardwood smoked sausage and it was served over brown rice, and we both loved it! I may

    ReplyDelete