Friday, December 17, 2010

Apple Butter Spice Amish Cake



Funny with this Amish bread. I look at a cake or a bread now and think, "Could I make this with Amish starter?"

When I saw this recipe, I knew it would be perfect with the Amish starter.
It turned out wonderful and delicious! I'm beginning to think there isn't anything I can't make out of this! 

Check out more of my Amish Bread Recipes! 



Apple Butter Spice Amish Cake
Adapted from Butteryum

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup apple butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup amish starter


Crumb mixture:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 ground nutmeg
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pan by spraying with a non-stick baking spray.


In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumb mixture together; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.


In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and white sugar together for a couple of minutes. Add eggs and beat well. Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ; beat well. Combine with sour cream and amish starter.


Combine flour mixture and apple butter mixture, beat until combined.


Pour about 1/2 the batter into the prepared bundt pan (9x13 direction below). Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on and top with the remaining batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes.


Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Pour half the batter into the pan, add half the crumb mixture, top with the remaining cake batter, and lastly, sprinkle the other half of the crumb mixture on top. Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

One Year Ago...









Ham & Pineapple with Tomato Peach Chutney













Slow Cooker 13 Bean & Ham Soup

This is linked with:
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. Yep, we love Amish bread starter. It is so versatile and it tastes great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbi,
    That looks like a great cake, it looks really moist. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your Amish breads...one of the many reasons why I adore you. This looks awesome. I've been in a really apple-y mood lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure wish I could keep a starter going, but with just the 2 of us and working different schedules (that really means, we don't share meal then) we don't eat enough foods that would use one before it goes bad. But you sure have some great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about making a starter. How creative to us it in this delicious bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you can buy Amish starter. I just looked at the recipe and it sounds quite a hassle. I have never heard of it before, the only starter I know if for Rye bread. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about making a starter. And I make my own apple butter. Hm....it may be time!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake looks fantastic - moist and full of flavor! I would love a piece for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never tire of apple desserts and this one sounds like another wonderful addition to my files. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the crumble mix on top. Nutmeg and cinnamon are my favorite spices. This looks really crunchy. I love apple pies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love all of the amish friendship bread recipes. I had starter a while ago, I need to get my hands on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great bread cake.
    Regards
    olga.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Amish breads are great and so is this cake! I need to get a start going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a delicious bread! I don't think I've ever eaten an Amish cake before, but I better start!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like an awesome cake! The apple butter must make it really moist. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not tried an Amish cake before. This is new to me. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the topping and the use of wheat germ. I wish I could find more recipes with wheat germ!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet this yummy treat would go great with hot choolate :). Have a wonderful day! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie I'd like to submit this to the Friendship Bread Kitchen Website Recipe Box. LMK you get full credit link to your blog http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/recipe-box arteachersusan at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete