Friday, December 31, 2010

Amish Cinnamon Rolls




The only cinnamon rolls I've ever made were out of a can. 

I am not very good with dough. I never know how long to knead it, it's always too sticky or too dry or I just can't roll it out. 

So I was apprehensive to try homemade Amish cinnamon rolls.


Well, it turns out that the dough was quite sticky, I added a bunch more flour while mixing.  It wasn't too hard to roll out though.  Though, when I cut them, they didn't exactly turn out like pretty cinnamon rolls.  More like cinnamon glops.


Turns out that cinnamon glops are just as good as cinnamon rolls!  They were a little dry, I don't think I put much butter on the rolled out dough though.  All in all, they were very good. 



Amish Cinnamon Rolls Recipe

2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup amish batter.  Combine and let set at room temperature overnight or 10 - 12 hours. Stir down.

Combine 1 tbsp. sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder.  Add into small bowl all at once to stir down.  Pour dough out onto well floured board.  Knead until no longer sticky.  Roll out into 1/2" thickness in a rectangle shape.  Brush dough with soft butter. 

Combine: 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. cinnamon, 1/2 cup crushed nuts.  Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over dough.  Beginning at wide side, roll up and seal seam.  Cut 1 in. slices.  Place on well greased cookie sheet.  Let rise 30 minutes.   Bake at 350 degrees 30 - 35 minutes. 

One Year Ago...










Creamy Tomato Soup

13 comments:

  1. Yum!I'm trying to be good, and this isn't helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, and yes glops do taste as good as rolls. Every baker eats glops, and move on with time to rolls. So that means you are a baker now! Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description "cinnamon glops". They may not be the prettiest ever (though they don't look BAD!) but I bet they were delicious!! Happy New Year to you and your Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The glops look pretty good to me, certainly worth a try. Happy New Year. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm continually amazed by all the different things you can make with Amish starter but this one takes the cake! What a creative use! And I don't think the glops look bad--they still look good to me! mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh if I wasn't so stuffed right now from all this holiday food, I would be making those. I'm going to save them for another day though, they look SO good.

    Debbi I also want to thank you so much for the kind words of advice on my homeschooling post, I truly appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Debbi!

    I think those look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gotta tell you those are pretty darn good looking cinnamon rolls/glops (whatever you want to call them for a first attempt. Hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas and very best wishes for a wonderful year ahead - will of course look forward to reading much more of your blog during the coming year :-)
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, like you, have only baked from can. But i really want to try to make "real" cinnamon rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, those glops look great to me! Hope you are having a great weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. We made Cinnamon Rolls Friday night, but then me and my hubby came down with that dreaded stomach bug. I baked them for the kids Saturday morning and the rest are in the fridge. Maybe I can eat one tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM Come on over and link up!!! http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/02/coconut-amish-friendship-bread-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbi I'd love to submit these over at the Amish Friendship Bread Kitchen website in their recipe box http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/recipe-box Let me know! arteachersusan at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete