Thursday, December 23, 2010

40 Clove Garlic Chicken in the Slow Cooker




I bought a humongous bag of garlic at Costco. I like garlic but what was I thinking?   That's a lot of garlic.

I don't buy whole chickens too often.  We usually go for the boneless or maybe the split breasts.  But, I needed a chicken wing for my daughters science experiment.  She had to disect and write up a lab for a chicken wing.  Ewwwww.  I don't like dealing with raw meat let alone cutting and disecting it!  

So, we just bought a whole cut up chicken, did the experiment with the wings and ate the rest.  So - whole bag of garlic + chicken = garlic chicken.   


This turned out delicious. The garlic pieces were sweet and tasty.  The chicken was super tender and practically fell off the bone. 

Of course, I still have a ton of garlic left...


40 Clove Garlic Chicken Recipe
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

1 whole chicken, cut up

1 large onion, cut up
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

Toss the chicken in the slow cooker, sprinkle with spices, add the onions and garlic. Cook on low for about 7 - 8 hours.

One Year Ago...







Turkey Cordon Bleu Crisp 












Crustless Tex Mex Meatloaf Cheddar Pie

This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simple Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Ingerdient Spotlight:Garlic at Eat at Home

23 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. What a great meal to throw in there and then serve up. Have a great day Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS wanted to try 40 clove of garlic chicken since I am a serious garlic fiend. Never too much, in my opinion! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Garlic is so lovely roasted! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dish and there's nothing like garlic! Perfect for the slow cooker! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so much about this recpe, it looks divine. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds amazing! and garlic is so awesome for immunity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this recipe in my collection for a long time and have never made it. I too love garlic and I must say, that is a LOT of garlic!! Thanks for sharing this one.

    Roasting the garlic with olive oil might be a good way to get rid of some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that is a lot of garlic! I've made that dish before, but not in the crock pot - I'll have to try that next time.

    Merry Christmas Debbi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's my kind of bag o' garlic! The chicken looks great! Have a wonderful holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow....LOVE garlic, love chicken, love things in the slow cooker, so this is a "bookmarker" for sure!!! (wow....science experiments have sure changed since I was a kid!! :) ) VERY happy holidays to you and your family. I'm looking forward to more of your posts and recipes throughout the new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made this twice and my family loves it!! In fact, they requested it for Christmas dinner,lol. No more turkey for us this year,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh holy cow!!! 3 lbs. of garlic!? That IS a lot! I've seen 40 clove chicken, but never made it. I like that yours is in the crockpot.

    Hmm.. what else to use up the garlic with? Maybe you could roast a bunch of the heads and keep them in the fridge in a jar? Oh and I bet you could probably mince a bunch and store it in a jar with a little bit of olive oil too? Good luck using it all up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a feeling the hubby would love this one. He loves garlic. I also have a thing for cutting up a whole chicken, so do you think chicken breasts would work??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That's a lot of garlic! Pizza soup from Monday looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love garlic chicken...but 40 cloves...wow...that's something!
    Merry Christmas!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dissecting a raw chicken wing sounds gross (and not very sanitary... weird request from a teacher), but this chicken sounds great! I am a big fan of garlic... I am definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great. Think it's my plan for next weekend. I'm home on Friday and will put this into the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW these look amazing-Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My neighbor told me about this recipe not long ago and I thought she was kidding about using that much garlic. Guess not! I think I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing it. Stopping by from Eat at Home.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  20. This really looks delicious with lots of twists. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Certification.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clove oil is aphrodisiac in nature and hence serves as an excellent stress reliever. It has a stimulating effect on the mind and removes mental exhaustion and fatigue. When taken internally, in appropriate amounts, it refreshes the mind. Clove oil also induces sleep and is helpful to insomnia patients. It is useful for treating mental problems such as loss of memory, depression and anxiety.

    Clove oil when mixed with salt, and applied on the forehead, gives a cooling effect and helps in getting relief from headache.

    The clove tree is an evergreen that grows to a height ranging from 8–12 m, having large leaves and sanguine flowers in numerous groups of terminal clusters. The flower buds are at first of a pale color and gradually become green, after which they develop into a bright red, when they are ready for collecting. Cloves are harvested when 1.5–2 cm long, and consist of a long calyx, terminating in four spreading sepals, and four unopened petals which form a small ball in the center.


    Thanks
    AND
    Regards
    Mukesh kumar
    Buy Clove Oil

    ReplyDelete