Monday, November 8, 2010

Turkey & Broccoli Brunch Casserole



It's never too early to start thinking about turkey leftovers! 

I love turkey and I love how cheap I can find it this time of year.  I will buy several, cook them and shred the meat to use for many things.  Casseroles, salads, quesadillas and soup.  Pretty much anything that I use chicken for, I will sub turkey. 

I usually shred it and put it in 10 oz. portions in baggies and put them in the freezer.  10 oz. is good for us, it's about 2 - 2 1/2 cups. 


I love this casserole.  I've actually made it twice in the last couple of weeks as I had an open bag of stuffing cubes. It comes together very easily. 

As you can see by the pictures, I used different kind of cheese.  The first time, I used colby jack.  The second time, I only had mozzarella.  Both were good but I preferred the colby jack. 

I use egg beaters but you could certainly just use eggs.  I would say to use about 7 - 8 regular eggs with this if you are making that substitution. 





Turkey & Broccoli Brunch Casserole Recipe

1 1/2 cups milk, 1%
1 can cream of chicken soup, healthy request
1 carton (8 oz) egg substitute
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 cup sour cream, light
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups cooked turkey breast, cubed or shredded (10 oz)
1 lb. broccoli, chopped
2 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
1 cup cheese, 4 oz. (I used colby jack)

In a large bowl, combine the milk, soup, eggs, sour cream and spices. Stir in the turkey, broccoli, stuffing cubes and 3/4 of the cheese.  Transfer to a 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake 5 - 10 minutes longer until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. 

Total calories = 2060 calories
8 servings = 258 calories per serving

More turkey leftover ideas!

Turkey Primavera

Turkey Pot Pie

Pepperjack Turkey Quesadillas with Cranberry Salsa




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, I too love turkey, this looks like more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas Brunch coming up...sounds like a perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this fantastic recipe. I have a brunch coming up in a few weeks, and will likely take this along!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love casseroles and this one looks right up my alley! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good! This time of year, I'm always keeping my eyes open for new things to do with turkey leftovers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This could be great for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will always be a special place in my heart for casseroles. So simple and always delicious! This looks go good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like one seriously fantastic casserole. Some serious comfort food...and stuffed with broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so good, another one for me to try!

    I've already made: Buffalo Chicken pizza, Southwest Turkey Burgers, Smoky Balsamic Chicken and tonight is the Sloppy Joe's. We've loved every single meal so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good, hearty for a winter's night. I am not big on broccoli so I might try mixed vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, this looks wonderful AND delicious! I love casseroles and agree - it's a great time to plan for turkey leftovers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Debbi; I didn't catch myself and spelled your name with an "e"... forgive me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is something I would totally eat! Anything with a little cheese on it is pretty tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb that looks so good! I might make it using some left over chicken. I might have to make my own bread cubes using some whole wheat bread to up the fiber!

    Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great recipe! I love using the turkey leftovers and this will be high on the priority list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miz Debbi,
    This is a really great casserole for this time of the year. I can always use this for the leftover turkey. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fab, I love turkey also and what a great way to make it into a meal. Thanks so much! I'm a new follower, can't wait to see some more yummy meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, making casseroles - especially with leftover turkey!

    Our store just had turkey breasts on sale for .99 a pound - and they were fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love anything with stuffing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always looking for turkey recipes and I love this combo with the stuffing! I've bookmarked this one for a post-Thanksgiving recipe event!

    Thanks for sharing with Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday!

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete