Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Southwest Sloppy Joes with Honey Lime Coleslaw

I seriously love southwest flavors.  I just can't get enough of it. 

This is a meal that can be doubled and the leftovers frozen for a future quick meal. I only wish I had thought of that! 

I was surprised how far 1 pound of ground turkey went.  I think we got 8 sandwiches out of this. At least. 

This was a meal I could eat weekly.  Healthy, hearty and completely delicious! 

We ate these sloppy joes with a Southwestern Butternut Squash that I posted on Our Krazy Kitchen!

Southwest Sloppy Joes with Honey Lime Coleslaw
Adapted from Very Culinary

Honey Lime Coleslaw:
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. sour cream (or use all mayo)
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
Pinch of cayenne
about 4 cups of coleslaw mix

1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1 can black beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 can diced green chiles
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. mustard
1 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper

Combine coleslaw mix and coleslaw ingredients, mix and refrigerate until ready to use.

Cook ground turkey and onion.  Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until it thickens and is the desired consistency.  Serve on sandwich thins with coleslaw on top if desired. 

I forgot to get the calorie count on this.  We ate this with a southwest butternut squash and I am quite sure that one sandwich and a serving of squash was under 500 calories!

More sloppy joes recipes!

Barbecue Turkey Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Buffalo Joes

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works for me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on Your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Show us What You're Workin' With from Me and My Bucket
Whatcha Makin' at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table
Sundays at One Food Club at Cocina Diary
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around
Recipe of the Week:Mexican at Family Fresh Meals


  1. that sounds delicious! thanks for sharing!

  2. I have never tried coleslaw on sloppy joes, but if it is great on the bbq sandwiches, why not! The bun looks incredible too not to mention the sidedish. Yum, glad I just ate or I would be having my usual blogger ailment - stomach cramps and salivation.

  3. That really looks delicious and I'm not a big ground turkey fan.

  4. this whole meal looks amazing! Glad I just heated up my dinner because now I'm hungry! :)

  5. Wow, this looks wonderful. I am on a healthy food kick right now. I have lost quite a bit of weight and want to keep it off as well as keep losing. This looks like it would be a great dinner for the kids too.

  6. This really really looks yummy! I'm so glad I found your blog, your recipes and meal ideas are great.

  7. I love the sound of that sweet and tangy honey lime coleslaw...and I'm super impressed at how far you stretched that meat! well done.

  8. I feel the same way about Southwest flavors, love them! And I love the sweet of the honey with the spicy of the southwest, fantastic combination, looks delicious!

  9. See, this is why we're friends. Oh how I love the sloppy joe!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner

  10. Great idea! Love the beans, corn, and green chiles. This is a sloppy joe I'd like (normally not crazy about it).

  11. Yum, I love slopppy joes and that butternut squash sounds like the perfect side dish.

  12. I am so glad that I found your site! I love trying new recipes, especially healthier ones. I have added this recipe to my menu for next week and will be posting a link to it when I blog about it. Thanks for sharing.

  13. I like that Southwest twist.Thank you for linking up with me.

  14. Wish you had posted this before I made the sloppy joes Monday night because this looks delicious! (I've never had coleslaw on a sandwich before). Another recipe to print out!

  15. Southwest flavors are the best, so bold and scrumptious!! :)

  16. I adore sloppy joes and I often make it with ground turkey. This one sounds wonderful with the southwest twist. Yum!

  17. Those look So good. I love all of the veggies and flavors you have combined in that meal.

  18. Debbi,
    This is my kind of meal and a great recipe for the Sloppy Joes and the Coleslaw. Thank you for sharing.

  19. This sounds wonderful and uses many flavours I love. My family all enjoy ground turkey and such a light and healthy meal this time of year is perfect. Thank you for sharing it.

  20. I just couldn't resist clicking on your entry because of the delicious sounding recipes! I wasn't disappointed either....these look great. Can't wait to give them a try!
    Elaine :)

  21. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe and linking up.

  22. This was fantastic! Thank you for posting it. I made it tonight and posted it on my site. I linked up with you!!


  23. Your pictures make me hungry!! Always... :)
    LOVE this recipe, thanks!!!

  24. The honey lime slaw is what is calling my name. That must compliment the sloppy joe perfectly :) Great recipe Debbi!