Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pumpkin Cornbread



There is something about chili with cornbread isn't there?  I had planned to make this buffalo chicken chili and then I saw this recipe for pumpkin cornbread. 

Mmmmmmm....

I just bought about 6 cans of pumpkin so this was perfect! 

The flavors went well together.  We all loved it!  Both the chili and pumpkin cornbread were even better the next day!





Pumpkin Cornbread
Inspired from Sweet as Sugar Cookies

1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cornmeal
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. molasses
2 tbsp. milk

Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, brown sugar and cornmeal.  In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and then stir in the pumpkin, oil, milk and molasses.   Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, and then pour the batter into the pan, smoothing out the top as much as possible.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes at 400 degrees, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Total calories = 2156 calories
12 servings = 180 calories per serving

Buffalo Chicken Chili & Pumpkin Cornbread = 399 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...





BBQ Chicken Pizza










Barbecue Turkey Sloppy Joes







This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on Your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
Show Us What Your Workin' With at Me and My Bucket
Whatcha Makin? at Scrap Addict 4 Sure
This Weeks Cravings at Veggie Convertor



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. Pumpkin cornbread? How cool. It would have never occurred to me to add pumpkin to cornbread. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubs loves cornbread. You have just inspired me again!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chili was so good! I'm certain this corn bread would be a great addition to it. I will be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about pumpkin cornbread...Very creative. I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I am so trying this one this week. I love the sound of it and with temps in the 10's, Chili sounds mighty good about now. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that looks so good! I've been looking for recipes with pumpkin in them, but I will have to hold off from making cornbread right now. Too many carbs over Thanksgiving! Thanks for visiting my blog and making a comment -- really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound interesting, and yeah nothing goes better with chili than corn bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pumpkin anyway so I will enjoy this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't think of anything better than chili and cornbread(but I am a native Texan) and thanks for linking up with me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, I've never heard of this before, it definitely peaks my interest! It seems perfect for the Fall weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen pumpkin cornbead before. Sounds perfect with chili.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I think I would like this Deb. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, this might sound weird but i look at your cornbread and I just want to sink my teeth into it. It looks so awesome with its lusty thickness... thats a honkin slice of cornbread and i want a bite! lol.
    This would be AMAZING with some honey butter. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had pumpkin cornbread but it sure sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! I would never have thought to add pumpkin to cornbread....but why not? I'll have to try this next time I make chili!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I worked out a slightly different pumpkin cornbread recipe a few years ago, and we love it with chili or other bean dishes. My son even wanted it for his 3rd birthday "cake"! The pumpkin makes a moister, smoother, more interesting cornbread that's also more nutritious because of the vitamins and fiber in the pumpkin. You can increase the nutrition even more with my tweaks of substituting hemp protein powder for 1/4 cup of flour or cornmeal and/or substituting sorghum syrup for brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like pumpkin, anything about pumpkin. .Tasty treat indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have some leftover pumpkin in the fridge just waiting for this recipe! Yum. Can't wait to try it out!! I so want to come and eat at your house. You always make the best things!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! This looks great! I am going to have to try me some of that delicious corn bread! <3

    ~Amy #57

    ReplyDelete