Saturday, November 6, 2010

Gingerbread Pancakes



Did I mention that we love pancakes?  Really, we eat them like once a week.  Plus, I usually make extra so they are there for breakfast or lunch the next day. 

We really like pancakes.

I've been working on a pumpkin pancake recipe but I haven't got it just right yet. So I switched gears and went with Gingerbread this time.  These turned out great!

 I meant to use half whole wheat in these but just forgot. I will next time for sure.  The amount of water is debatable. I added only 1 cup, made a batch and deemed them too thick.  Then I added a bit of water but then they seemed too thin.  I actually liked the thick ones better so go easy on the water! 

Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.  They were fantastic!




Gingerbread Pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/4 cups water

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl.  In a small separate bowl beat egg with vanilla and molasses until smooth.  Whisk in the water until combined. Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until combined.  Heat a pan, spray with cooking spray. Drop batter onto pan and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry.  Flip and cook until browned on the other side.  Repeat with remaining batter.

This is linked with:
Cookbook Sundays at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac
Hearth n' Soul at Girlichef
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
This Weeks Cravings at Mom's Crazy Cooking


22 comments:

  1. Served with warm applesauce, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PErfectly thanksgiving these delicious pancakes:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh, I can just imagine that delicious ginger aroma from these. Perfect fall breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK! Am I late for breakfast? They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, these look incredible. Too bad we don't have "smell o'vision" on the computer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect Autumn breakfast! All I had was a lousy bowl of oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh these sound de-LISH! We do a lot of pancakes here, too, for breakfast, dinner, and quick snacks. I've even made peanut butter sandwiches on a banana pancake for my toddler. I need to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, I've been meaning to make gingerbread pancakes ever since I saw them on Reeni's site. These look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the coolder weather here, and cold weather soon to be here; pancakes will have their day in our house. A great cold weather treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum!

    i have a pumpkin pancake recipe that we really liked.(out of the box)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, like eating gingerbread cookies for breakfast. You can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love gingerbread, especially for breakfast (which seems so sneaky!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great flavour for pancakes. Perfect for fall and winter. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with Cookbook Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! Anything gingerbread and I am SO in! These are our next pancake foray, for sure. Thanks so much for sharing them w/ the hearth and soul hop Debbie...and me with no breakfast in my belly yet... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gingerbread pancakes! Oh boy, I have to show Mister this. He makes pancakes EVERY weekend, always tinkering with the recipe trying to find the ultimate pancake recipe. I'm surprised he hasn't come up with this yet. I know what I'll be eating this weekend!

    Thanks for linking to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays!

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, Debbie - I love pancakes, though I don't make them very often, but I really love the idea of gingerbread pancakes - these I definitely have to try.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debbi! Pancakes for pancake lovers is such an art. Seriously, I find it hard to have pancakes anywhere other than home because we love them so much as well! I would ADORE these with some thick cream with some apple butter mixed in! Very nice recipe for the holiday brunch I would say! Thanks so much for sharing with us on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gingerbread pancakes sound delicious. I'm jealous of how round and well cooked you got all of them. I always end up burning a few and they are never round. I'm the queen of oval pancakes! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made these. Yummo!! Kids are having them as after dinner dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these! I can't wait to make them for my girls for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete