Thursday, November 11, 2010

General Tso's Chicken Stir Fry


I love me some Asian cuisine!!  I just hate how greasy Chinese take out can be. I also don't like not knowing what ingredients are in there when you order our or get it from a restaurant.

I found this from Veronica.  Go look at the picture of hers. It looks gorgeous doesn't it! 



I had about 9 kids literally running around me as I was making this so mine was the simple one pot, quick version. 

Veronica breaded each piece of chicken and cooked until golden brown.  Then separated the chicken. Cooked the sauce separately and veggies separately, then combined to create a gorgeous meal!

Me?  I dumped the breading in a baggie with the chicken, dumped it on a pan and cooked it.  Then I doubled the sauce, dumped it in the pan along with the veggies until done and thickened. 

Not as pretty but it was certainly delicious and easy. I will for sure be making this again!  This made a ton too so I enjoyed leftovers for several lunches!



General Tso's Chicken Recipe
Adapted from Recipe Rhapsody

Sauce:
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sugar (I used splenda)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. ginger (I used minced)
8 - 10 cloves of garlic (I used a bunch, I love the stuff!)
6 green onions, chopped

Chicken:
2 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into chunks
1 egg
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/3 cup flour

Veggies:
1 pepper, I used red but you could use any color
3 cups broccoli florets
Any veggie you have in the frig.

Mix all but the last 3 ingredients for the sauce and once the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved, stir in the ginger, garlic and scallions.  Set aside.

Mix the chicken with the egg and soy sauce, then roll each chunk in flour.  (or do what I did and just chuck it all in a baggie and dump on the stove.)  Fry the chicken until golden brown and done. 

Pour sauce and veggies into pan and heat until veggies are done and sauce is thickened.  Or, if you want to make it prettier, remove chicken, thicken sauce, cook veggies in the microwave and then toss all together.   Serve with rice if desired.

Total calories = 2395 calories
8 huge servings = 299 calories per serving
This is linked with:


ONE YEAR AGO -






Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

37 comments:

  1. Hi Debbi,
    I just put a stir fry on my menu. Your recipe looks great, I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, I took a look at Veronica's page and then was wondering if the sugar measure on yours might be incorrect. I had thought 1 c sugar for a chicken stir fry was a lot. Thanks. PS, yours looks good, just like dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a recipe for Generla Tao's. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a simple and delicious stir-fry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my hubby's favorite. Thanks for making it look simple and ohh so delicious. Your pictures look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this looks delicious. I'm definitely putting this on my menu for this week. I love Chinese food, but I really hate that it has so much sodium and fat. This looks like a great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious, and easy, we love stir fry! I am LOL at nine kids running around while you cook dinner! Been there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try this! It's a family favorite, and a healthier version sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I have such a hankerin' for some Asian food now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you used Splenda Debi!

    I love that combo of flavors, I'll definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so tempting! I have never had much luck cooking stir frys at home. I make a great chicken fried rice but haven't perfected other Asian dishes yet. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I might have to give this one a whirl! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbi! My first time here. Chinese stir fries are easy to cook at home. Homemade is best as takeaway can be very oily. Your chicken dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbi - this looks wonderful! I love Chinese foods - thank you for bringing to Friday Potluck -- and for the record; I think your photos look pretty darned good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious!!! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my husband's favorite Chinese dishes, but I've never made it at home. Thanks for the incentive and the lo cal recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderful! I love Chinese food, but there are so many things I can't eat in the take out version - love having a real food alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this General Tso's. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a favorite of people ordering Chinese take-out. I smiled at how you put this dish together. Awesome! At first I saw the total calories and then Whew, I saw the calories per serving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum yum yum yum! I am going to make this, stat. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am all about one pot meals. I do the same thing, I see a recipe somewhere that looks all elaborate and then BANG!- I totally one-pot-it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you for making it easier! Sometimes I get too fussy but then I don't make the meal again b/c it's too time consuming. I guess I need to try it the Debbi way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbi, that looks totally delicious, and I love your no-fuss approach to the dish - I'm always looking for any shortcuts I can take in a recipe that aren't going to alter the flavour. Basically, I admit to being a very lazy cook, and least fuss, least preparation and least amount of dishes to clean up afterwards wins for me every time :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made this for dinner tonight - big hit! Ryan even ate the brocolli!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks so delicious...thanks for sharing your recipe, i would love to try it! happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh yum! thanks so very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great recipe! General Tso's is my son's favorite. Sometimes eventhough the recipes taste so delicious, the pictures don't do them justice. I feel like that on a lot of my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. mmmm! love general tso's! Thank you for linking up this recipe at Katie's Cucina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh holy cow, that looks so deliciuos! I can't believe how much it made and those stats! Such a healthy, filling, colorful, veggie-ful dinner! Thanks for sharing it with Friday Firsts! I also love making my own stir fries and asian foods at home!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great recipe! I would love it if you would share this recipe on my weekly recipe swap. And while your there you can check out other great recipes!

    http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2010/11/pantry-recipe-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks delicious....need to print it out and add it to a future menu!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love general tso's chicken. Yours looks really yummy! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  32. We tried this last night and LOVED it!! I'm telling ya, every recipe of your's we've tried so far, we loved every single one of them! Keep the recipes coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. is the 1 cup of sugar right? b/c even if you double it by the original recipe that would only be a 1/2 cup, it just sounds like a LOT of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yum! My boyfriend and I have been on a chinese food kick lately and I was just thinking the other day that we are probably consuming so many extra calories because of it... I can't wait to surprise him with this recipe and feel okay about eating it afterward :)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  35. OOOO this sounds really, really good!

    ReplyDelete