Thursday, November 25, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker






I'm a sucker for good advertising.  Especially with recipes.  If I see a recipe with THE BEST in the title, well, I'm GOING to try it!  It's the BEST, right? 

By putting words like Award Winning, The Most Incredible, or The Best Ever, in front of a recipe, works for me. It is telling me that I just have to try it! 

So that's how it was when I saw Biz's Best Buffalo Chili Recipe!  I somehow knew it wouldn't be just any chili recipe. 

Even though I changed the method, it was quite extrordinary.  The flavor was spot on, not too spicy but it had a great flavor.  It was hearty and chunky. Just the way I like it!


Buffalo Chicken Chili
Adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen

2 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large carrots
4 stalks celery
1 large red pepper
1 large onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. paprika
1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can chili beans in sauce (do not drain)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook chicken with a bit of water in pan until cooked and easy to shred.  Shred chicken and put in crockpot  Heat a bit of cooking spray in pan and cook onions, carrots, pepper and garlic about 8 minutes.  Add veggie mixture to crock pot. Add all the other ingredients and mix together.   Cook on low for several hours until hot and flavors have come together.  **Alternate method: You can mix everything on the stove top at a simmer and cook for an hour. 

Total calories = 3066 calories
14 cups = 219 calories per cup

Buffalo Chicken Chili & Pumpkin Cornbread = 399 calorie dinner



One Year Ago...


Chipotle Chicken & Fiesta Corn








Garlic Ranch Turkey Burgers & Rum Butternut Squash










This is linked with:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christinas
Recipe of the Week at Family Fresh Meals

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

32 comments:

  1. MMmmm! This looks amazing! We love trying new chili recipes. This looks like it would be a hit with the nephews. They love anything with Frank's Hot Sauce!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

    Hugs,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to cook Chili con Carne tomorrow I think you have changed my mind. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to try this. This sounds like a perfect Sunday football food. Chili and hot wings combined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this when Biz posted it, and it caught my eye too. This would be perfect this week once I'm sick of all the turkey leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I think I could be convinced that pretty much anything buffalo flavored is the "best ever". This looks delicious!

    I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving babe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find the best recipes! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you tried it Debbi! And I love that you did it in the crockpot - great idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is yet another Debbi recipe that has been bookmarked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great, I have a special place in my heart for buffalo chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I saw when Biz posted it, but didn't realize it could go in the slow cooker. I'm a sucker for recipes "in the slow cooker" like you are w/ "the best." To me it just takes all the work out of my hands. I love being able to throw everything in and forget about it. Thanks for sharing w/ Friday firsts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I;m so glad you shared this recipe. We're having our first cold snap in Houston and chili was on my mind yesterday. This will definitely be dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You post the BEST recipes! I will be making it for my bunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always on the lookout for good slow cooker ideas, even though Sexy Nerd insists that I'm going to burn down the house one day by leaving our Crock Pot unattended (not sure he quite understands the point of a slow cooker!)

    Thanks for another yummy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! Love that you adapted it for the crock pot. Hubby would love this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANK YOU for this recipe!!!! This is what I am making tomorrow!!!!!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know me, anything with Franks is a winner in my book. This sounds and looks really good. I wish I didn't already have veggie chili in the crock pot now otherwise I would be making this for dinner tonight. I always go by the comments when I am looking up recipes online. I like to see what people thought of it, they also give ideas on what to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks great and I am pretty sure the hubs would love it!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this tonight and it was really good. Good for parties. Check it out: http://mealsforreal.blogspot.com/2010/11/buffalo-chicken-chili-nachos.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buffalo chili? Wow! I've never thought of that! Sounds great! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was so good! I found you through another blogger and am shouting from the rooftops that I am loving your blog! We had this for dinner tonight and my husband said that this was his new favorite chili. I wasn't sure about the carrots in it, especially since he doesn't like cooked carrots, but it was so good. We used Frank's Buffalo sauce which tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made this for dinner last night and WOW!! So delicious and so easy. I did change a couple things to make it a little easier for me though. I did not pre-cook the chicken or the vegetables. I just threw it all in and then took the chicken out after about 7 hours, let it rest for about 10 minutes and shredded it and tossed it back in for the last hour. The carrots and celery still had a touch of crunch, which we prefer to super soft veggies. The kids(2&3), found it too spicy but my husband and I both added more hot sauce. Served it with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Will definitely make again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am making this today. Does anyone know hoe long in thr crockpot? On high or low?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am making this today. Does anyone know hoe long in thr crockpot? On high or low?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything is cooked so it just needs to cook in the crockpot for the flavors to meld together. I'd put it on 6 - 8 hours on low but you could do 3 - 4 hours on high as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Could you just put the chicken in raw and have it cook by the slow cooker? I've done that before with other soups and things and it's worked out well. Just didn't know if it was different for some reason with this recipe. Let me know--it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just put this in the crockpot! Had to improvise as I only had kidney beans and franks buffalo sauce, so I used buffalo and louisianna hot suace instead of the franks hot. Can't wait to try it for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just put this in the crockpot! Had to improvise as I only had kidney beans and franks buffalo sauce, so I used buffalo and louisianna hot suace instead of the franks hot. Can't wait to try it for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm making this right now! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My husband and I had this for dinner last night, and it was so delicious! He said that it was the best chili he had ever eaten! :) Thanks so much for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm planning on making this as the centerpiece of our food table for my husband's birthday tomorrow. Any idea how many adults this one recipe would feed? There will be lots of other appetizer type foods but I'm thinking I may want to double the recipe. Would you be able to tell me what size crockpot you used and how full it was? I'd really appreciate it!

    :)

    http://accordingtoboyle.com/

    ReplyDelete