Monday, November 22, 2010

Amish Chocolate Chip Cookies




There really is no end to what I can do with this Amish starter.

These were awesome!  They were crunchy on the outside and super cakey on the inside. Perfect texture.

Now, I have to warn you.  I am not a good baker.  Not. At. All.  Did you see the shape of those cookies? Not a round one in sight!

I think the recipe I looked at called for 3 cups of flour, I used more like 2 1/2, it seemed thick enough. I know, you're supposed to measure well when baking. I have a problem with measuring. 

I also got my molasses and vanilla mixed up.  Once again, I decided to eye ball it and just pour some molasses in the bowl.  Well, apparently I had the vanilla in hand, which is much thinner than molasses, and poured way too aggressively and ended up with probably about 1/4 cup of vanilla.  At least.  Whoops!  I tasted the batter and they tasted quite alcohol-y.  Once they cooked in the oven, they were fine.

My husband ate one and said they were good. But they needed more vanilla.  No joke. 

Check out my other amish bread and cakes!  I have 17 other recipes with more to come! 





Amish Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup starter
2 eggs
1 tbsp. molasses
3/4 cup butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Combine and mix well.

Sift together:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Mix together with butter mixture.  Use tbsp. to spoon them onto baking sheets, bake at 375 for 10 - 13 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One year ago...





Spinach & Lentil Meatloaf with Scalloped Corn & Broccoli








Asian Turkey Broccoli Slaw Wraps




This is linked with:
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac
Tuesdays at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess
Tuesday Night Supper Club at Fudge Ripple
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace
Dr. Lauras Tasty Tuesday at Dr. Lauras Adventures

20 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I am intrigued with the Amish starter. It does seem to be used everywhere. Sometimes my problem is that there are only two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God you can do ANYTHING with that starter! I am impressed. 1/4 cup of vanilla sounds just perfect to me...but then again, I'm a vanilla addict.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband must have a high tolerance to vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!
    My mom always says you can never have too much vanilla or cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im amazed at your uses for the amish starter!! i have a bag defrosting as we speak but im going to make regular old sweet bread lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't follow recipes. I'm amazed that anything that comes out of my oven is edible. But, sometimes the best surprises are born of the worst mistakes.

    These look delicious - even if they're not round. Which is better in my book. Handmade from the heart. What more could a recipe need? Except maybe a little vanilla. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Amish starter is amazing in your hands. I cannot believe the wonderful things you have created from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies look great. Clearly I'm going to have to get some of this amish starter.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It's been years since I've done the amish starter. Might just have to give it another go to try these cookies. They look great....I love the vanilla story and your dh...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Deb those look delicious. If only you could send me just a couple to have with my hot tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cookies don't have to be perfect to be delicious! Your creativity knows no bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cookies....I LOVE cookies !!! And these look delish.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cookies sound delicious. I didn't know Amish starter could be used in cookies, but you've shown me something new now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. crispy goodness. . .pair with hot tea, it's perfect

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the official QUEEN of Amish starter!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny story! Your cooking methods sound like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i never thought to use a starter to make cookies...i bet these are good! thank you for sharing them with tuesday night supper club. i hope you have a great week...
    best
    christy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are too funny! I don't care what shape those cookies are - they look DELICIOUS:) I also really like vanilla so I might just have to try them the way you made them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny about your husband's comment. Love Amish recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep come link up! lol http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/02/coconut-amish-friendship-bread-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete