Thursday, October 14, 2010

Veggie Wraps with Caramelized Black Bean Butter





This is a recipe that I've had around for awhile. I love dip. I love beans. I love onions. So clearly I had to try this. 

I made a veggie sandwich with an awesome pesto hummus a few weeks ago. I thought this dip would be fantastic as a spread on a veggie sandwich as well.

Rather than bread, I decided to make it a wrap.  Hey, we put everything on a tortilla around here.  It was really good.  



I also ate it with crackers.  I should have made homemade tortilla chips but was wasy too lazy so I just ate it with some Ritz.  This was even better. 

The flavors in the dip are subtle but come out nicely with the salty crackers.  You can taste the hint of chocolate from the cocoa, then you get the slight tang from the balsamic vinegar. It's an excellent, intriguing combination.



While the wraps were tasy, the complex flavors get a little lost with the veggies. It didn't stand out or anything. I prefer this as a dip to a spread. Either way, it was highly tasty!!


This is linked with:



Caramelized Black Bean Butter Recipe

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 cans black beans (15 oz) rinsed and drained
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. sugar

Heat oil in pan, add onions and saute for about 15 - 20 minutes.  Place onion and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. I threw it all in a bowl and used my immersion blender.  Serve with crackers or chips or on veggie wraps. 

23 comments:

  1. WOW Debbi! I absolutely love the idea of black bean butter! These wraps look pretty darned tasty. Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck again this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog... Yummy looking photos!

    RaineyGhoul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love black beans .... but you know that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your black bean butter! The wrap looks very flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM... That looks Yummy! It looks like a nice quick dinner idea with tons of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! this looks really good and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like another winner and just the kind of item that needs to be added to my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there, new here at potluck friday and your entry looks yummy, i love to try easy recipe and this will be on my list! can't wait! happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spread sounds really good. It may not have been the star of the wrap but I am sure that it added a lot of flavor to it. It is perfect to have on hand for a quick lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. caramelized black bean butter sounds so good. this is a definate keeper. thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea for a good and healthy lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caramelized black bean butter, oh my gosh, this sounds unreal. Give me a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I didn't realize how hungry I was until I saw your post. That looks so good. Thank you for coming by and your comments. I was thinking the same thing about the middle. Luckly that was easy to change. Hopefully the email part will be too.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this looks so good! I can't wait to try it.

    I posted the soup recipe that I made yesterday...check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, that looks G-O-O-D! found you through get healthy cheap and I'm now following!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great flavors, looks so good in a wrap! I just had dinner but you're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How creative! Sounds great! I saw this on another blog's carnival and hoped you'd link this with me too. Thank you for the new lunch idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just had a hummus wrap for lunch yesterday! This sounds like the perfect yummy twist on the traditional hummus wrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the black bean butter idea!! What a great way to indulge in dip without the guilt. I'm thinking everything from Wheat Thins to cherry tomatoes and the wrap sandwich looks like a perfect healthy work lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

    ReplyDelete