Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet, Sticky & Spicy Chicken





My brother loves this meal. Well, we all did but he particularly likes it. Every time I make chicken now, he compares it to this.  He'll say something like "This is good but not as good as that other chicken".  This is the other chicken he means.

It is good. Very good. 

I would like to play around with the hot sauce.  All I had was Tabasco and Franks buffalo wing sauce so I opted for the buffalo wing sauce.  It was delicious and slightly spicy. But I would still like to try out something different.  My brother will probably yell at me for messing up something already good.  Oh well. 


I doubled the sauce as we like things saucy and I like to drizzle a bit of sauce over my broccoli.  I'm glad I did as it doesn't make a ton of sauce.  Make more if you want. I told you, it was good!  :-)

This is linked with:
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
$5 dinner challenge at $5 dinners
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth and Soul at Girlichef 
Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess
Tuesday Night Supper Club from Fudge Ripple
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace
Delicious Dishes at It's a Blog Party



Sweet, Sticky & Spicy Chicken Recipe
Adapted from Allrecipes

2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 tbsp. ginger
1 tbsp. garlic
3 tbsp. hot sauce (I used Franks Buffalo Wing sauce)
Salt and pepper
2 lbs. chicken breast tenders or strips

Mix together brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and hot sauce in a small bowl.  Lightly salt and pepper chicken strips.  Heat pan with cooking spray, add chicken and brown on both sides, about a minute or so on each side to get a good sear.  Pour sauce over the chicken.  Simmer uncovered until sauce thickens and chicken is done, about 10 minutes.  Serve with rice and veggies.

Total calories = 1525 calories
6 servings = 254 calories per serving

Sweet, Sticky & Spicy Chicken + Broccoli + 1/2 cup brown rice = 414 calorie dinner 

More recipes you might like!

Chicken Egg Foo Yung

Sweet and Spicy Chicken

Thai Peanut Pork


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

31 comments:

  1. MMMM! Finger lickin' good, I'd say. Sounds and looks delicious, Debbi! Glad you'll be sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all over this! it looks amazing.
    I have quite a colletion of recipes to try but this looks like yummy comfort food that might have to skip the others and get to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! Sometimes you want to just mess with it a little, and change can be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds delicious. I can see why your brother raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarked! This looks perfect for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally made a version of this for Football yesterday...great minds!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ALWAYS need some xtra sauce, lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Another fantastic recipe from you! I love your creativity with chicken! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fantastic! Can't wait to try it out :) If it's wings, I'll eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like my foods "saucy" too.... I winder if that says something about us LOL

    This sounds great... definitely a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks good I was wondering is that garlic
    powder or minced garlic you're using?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sweet, sticky chicken, love the flavors in your recipe! Thanks, saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum that looks so good! You can cook for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehehe...if your brother says it's good, maybe I should try it. Not that I know him, or you, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why he likes it! I'd cut out the spicy stuff and pig out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds awesome and easy! I like extra sauce myself so I totally agree about doubling...and over the rice.....yum!...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sweet and spicy combo! This is going on my list of things to make :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sounds delish and so easy! I'm saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what i really need to do is only eat what you make...because i think i would lose some of those pesky pounds that have creeped up recently. you make it look so yummy! thank you for linking up this fabulous and healthy recipe to tuesday night supper club

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh..broccoli with this sauce sounds really yummy too! Actually - anything with this sauce sounds yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks so good and besides the broccoli, I could get my hubby to eat it! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the hot and sweet chicken combination. Brown rice and broccoli look like the perfect accompaniment too.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbi - I love the whole sweet and spicy chicken combination and so do my kids, and it is quick - a winning recipe in my book! thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds pretty amazing, and I like the calorie count for the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had me at sweet and sticky...spicy just sealed the deal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think we are going to have these the next time we have guest over. Thanks for sharing this over at "Delicious Dishes".

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debbi, I made this chicken tonight... It was AWESOME! Thanks for the great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made it for dinner two nights ago. LOVED IT. Seriously, LOVED. Thanks so much for the recipe! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete