Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sweet & Spicy Big Veggie Pot



When Biz announced that this weeks BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient was Leftovers! I totally had to post this!  I made this on Sunday and I have kinda a stockpile of recipe and probably wasn't going to list this for a few weeks.  This yielded a LOT of leftovers and I ate it several different ways so I moved it up, posted it and submitted it to this weeks BSI.

I got this recipe from the Hungry Girl site.  She has some awesome lo cal recipes. This is my favorite.  Love how it's in the crock pot too!

It's a giant big ol' pot of veggies with a delicious thick pumpkin sauce.  AND. It is incredibly low calorie and healthy!  (maybe this will make up for all the stinkin' amish bread creations I've been making!) 




I stuck fairly close to the recipe but I don't think there would be a right or wrong way to make this.  You could throw pretty much anything in there.

This also makes a lot.  Really a lot.  But considering the whole crock pot is only like 900 calories, I think it's okay. My husband wasn't enthused by the lack of meat and the "funky" vegetables.  What does he know anyway!  My brother and I loved it!

The first night, I just ate it straight up, in a bowl.  Despite it's lack of protein, I found it quite filling.  

The next evening, I cooked some chicken tenders to go along with it.  The kids ate their chicken tenders plain, I mixed mine with the veggies. Very tasty. 




The next day for lunch, I took some leftover chicken, a toasted tortilla and made myself a wrap.  This was awesome too!  So we have one huge pot of veggies and 3 days worth of meals, all different ways. Very nice.  My brother ate several wraps like this too so this pot went a long way!

This is my submission to this weeks BSI hosted by Dave from My Year on the Grill





Sweet and Spicy Big Veggie Pot Recipe
Adapted from Hungry Girl


1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 lb. eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 1/4 lbs. cabbage, cored and cut in chunks
1/2 lb. zucchini, sliced (about 1 large or 2 small)
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 lb. carrots, chopped in chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
15 oz. canned pumpkin
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Place all cut veggies in a large slow cooker. Combine pumpkin, tomato paste and spices in a small bowl and dump on top of the veggies. It will be very, very full but will cook down. Gently stir. Cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or 6 - 7 hours on low.


Total calories = 910 calories
10 servings = 91 calories per serving

This is linked with:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Vegetarian Foodie Friday at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap over at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap
Wholesome Whole Foods at Health Food Lover
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner Mom?
Hearth and Soul at Girlichef
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday at Dr. Laura's Adventures
Ingredient Spotlight: Pumpkin at Eat at Home


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. I love leftover recipes. I love seeing all the ways to take one dinner and mix up into a ton of different possibilities. I personally could have eaten a handful of those wrap. I am a sucker for anything in a tortilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leftovers are a blessing. They're like getting a free pass to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this cracks me up. my husband would say the same thing and then refuse to even taste it---but it is right up my alley...i love veggies and the pumpkin seems like a really tasty addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds tasty! I've made some of the hungry girl recipes, and they are usually pretty good. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggies + crock pot Heaveny recipe. I'm adding this of things to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! The mix of veges sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH.. this looks SO good! I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds really good! I'm not big on following recipes I see online, but I might have to give in and try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly the kind of dinner I love - lots of veggies, low in calories, and delicious. I'm dying to try that pumpkin tomato sauce that they're cooked in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this sort of meal. When I have an overflow of veg in the garden I do a similar dish and freeze it. We now have masses in the freezer here in the UK for winter. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. you had me at thick pumpkin sauce. I could probably eat a whole HUGE bowl of just this for dinner and be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous flavors! I love all of the spices and the veggies you've used Debbi! What a delicious and healthy dish!!! (seem to be using lots of exclamation points!) Thanks for sharing with Friday Potluck again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum! looks so delicious and healthy, so rich in flavors! happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun recipe Debbi! You always make the most interesting and delicious-sounding dishes. So impressive! I would make this in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm wondering if the ingredients from pumpkin on down could be mixed for a sort of pumpkin ketchup that would be a yummy fall condiment- sort of like a chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw this and knew it was for me,also. What a great dish with wonderful ingredients. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leftovers was definitely a fun pick! Wish I woulda remembered...ugh. Well, your dish sounds delicious, for sure! Thanks for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, sister, you really got a lot of mileage out of that recipe. But I just love versatile recipes like that. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds very flavorful!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great all-purpose way to get your veggies, it seems! And, you were able to use it in a variety of dishes to boot - I love to be able to get more bang for your buck (and time).

    Thank you for sharing at Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday!

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete