Thursday, October 7, 2010

Smothered Chicken & Veggies with Biscuits





So there is this buffet that we like to go to. They have biscuits with this chicken gravy with veggies.  My husband loves it. Actually, he likes to put the gravy concoction on mashed potatoes. I like the biscuits.

So when I saw this recipe, I immediately thought of that meal.  I so wanted this to taste just like that.  I also loved how I could make it in my slow cooker!

Well, first, I've never made biscuits.  Not homemade at least.  The ones from the can don't count.  Well, maybe they should because they were better than these. 

These were edible and not BAD, but they weren't all fluffy like I had imagined them to be. Oh well.


The chicken gravy veggie concoction was good. Not spectacular but good.  I think that I need to tweak the spices a bit.  I also added and changed much of the recipe so maybe it was my fault that it wasn't better.  Maybe it was the chicken gravy packet that wasn't impressive. I think I will stick with my own gravy next time rather than using a packet.

My husband ate his over a baked potato and I ate mine over the hockey pucks biscuits.  Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, the biscuits really weren't THAT bad.  :-)

This is linked with:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollums
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Friday Firsts at Dinner at Christina's
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
Fabulous Fridays at Saving Money and Living Life
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap


Tricia and Rachel are teaming up here in October during National Breast Cancer Month to help the fight with Saving Second Base. Please visit A Southern Fairytale and Once A Month Mom for some compelling stories about breast cancer and fantastic recipes to go along with them.  They will be featuring these posts everyday on their blogs and then turning them into an EBook where the ENTIRE proceeds will go to help this disease!




Smothered Chicken in Gravy with Vegetables Recipe
Adapted from Nutmeg Notebook

1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
1 cup carrots, sliced or diced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1 package roasted chicken gravy mix
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen corn

In a large crockpot, combine chicken, carrots, onions, chicken broth, butter and spices.  Cover, cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. 

About 20 minutes before serving, stir in gravy mix, remove the chicken breast and shred the meat and return to the crock pot.  Remove and discard bay leaf.

In a measuring cup, mix milk and flour until smooth.  Stir flour mixture and other veggies into chicken.  Cover, increase heat to high and cook an additional 25 - 30 minutes or until veggies are hot and cooked.  Add a bit more milk or chicken broth.  I increased the veggies a lot so I think that I added more chicken broth.

Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk

Sift flour once, then sift again with the baking powder.  Cut in butter, add salt and milk. Knead for about 30 seconds to mix.  Roll out about 1/2 in. thick and cut into circles, I used a glass.  Bake on ungreased sheet at 400 for 12 - 15 minutes.



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


26 comments:

  1. Love the add of the biscuits!

    ps check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any meal that starts with "smothered" is usually right up my alley :)

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I agree with Jennifer - smothered is always good! Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck again this week! Great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good. I think that I have made homemade biscuits once and I impressed my friend and husband a lot by doing it. I haven't made them since only because it is so much easier to throw pre made biscuits in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know, "smothered" removes "edible and not BAD". Biscuits take a bit of practice, so don't worry. Looks like a great fall dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks great! I love the biscuits in a can. And homemade couldn't have been bad smothered in the gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the biscuits didn't work well, but the rest of the meal looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having some saucy gravy all over the fresh biscuits...mmm..I love the idea! The biscuits didn't look that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chicken dish looks fantastic, maybe I will give the biscuits a miss! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a gr8 unique recipe..nice one

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love a plate of smothered chicken. I'm going to have to make this for dinner this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds really good over mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of my favorite "hot lunch" in elementary school. I LOVED that stuff! Don't knock your biscuit making skills. I'm pretty sure there's some mysterious "delicious biscuit" club you have to be a member of to make the light and fluffy ones. If you figure out the formula let me know....mine distinctly resemble yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like one my kids might even eat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. I make something very similar with chickpeas instead of chicken. I had never thought of putting it in the crockpot though. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two secrets to a fluffy biscuit, ice cold butter (I actually put my butter in the freezer and shred it into the batter) and not to overwork the dough.

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/03/08/avocado-breadrollsbiscuits-and-gravy/

    Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Biscuits with any kind of gravy seems like a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MMMM. biscuits.

    and it kinda looks like a chicken pot pie, minus the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smothered works for me! It looks and sounds delicious. This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear...that looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so delicious! I love your meals, they're totally things I crave all the time! Although I'll admit I'd have a hard time deciding if I wanted to eat this over mashed potatoes or biscuits! Maybe I'd do a little of both! ;)

    Sorry your biscuits didn't turn out perfect! I hate when that happens. I've yet to conquer homemade rolls. I keep getting flat hard hollow blobs.

    I made biscuits last year for the first time here http://www.dinneratchristinas.com/2009/12/buttermilk-biscuits.html and maybe you spun your glass? I read if you spin the glass they won't rise and get as flaky. Try that next time! :)

    As always, thank you for sharing with Friday Firsts!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks good! I can't make a good fluffy biscuit either. I think one needs to be from the south and talk like Paula Dean to make a good one =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm about 50/50 on the biscuit making. Some days they come out perfect next day I'm making some hockey pucks myself. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbi,
    This chicken looks so good. I wish I had some of it right now. I love biscuits and gravy anything.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! This looks right up my alley! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

    Hope you'll stop by again this week. I'm celebrating my blogiversary with a giveaway for a Presto Cool Touch Griddle!

    ReplyDelete