Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Spiced Butternut Squash





Butternut squash and pie.  Really, can you think of a better combination.  Well, peanut butter and chocolate are better but this is right up there!

There was no need for dessert after this meal. I totally felt like I was eating dessert. I ate a whole bunch and it was delicious!



Joanne cut her squash in half and roasted it with the spices on top.  This is probably much easier than peeling and dicing it.  I just enjoy eating it this way so it's worth the extra effort. For me. 

The spice combination was perfect!  It was very sweet and flavorful!  I can't wait to make this again!

Tricia and Rachel are teaming up here in October during National Breast Cancer Month to help the fight with Saving Second Base. Please visit A Southern Fairytale and Once A Month Mom for some compelling stories about breast cancer and fantastic recipes to go along with them.  They will be featuring these posts everyday on their blogs and then turning them into an EBook where the ENTIRE proceeds will go to help this disease!

This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table



Pumpkin Pie Spiced Butternut Squash Recipe 
Adapted from Eats Well with Others

2 tsp. coriander
1/4 black peppercorns, ground (or just pepper)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground ginnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 large butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
2 tsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix the spices.  Peel and dice squash into small chunks.  Mix olive oil on the squash and toss spices onto the butternut squash. 

Bake for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.

Total calories = 500 calories
6 huge servings = 83 calories per serving

Saucy Meatloaf + 2 servings Pie Spiced Butternut Squash = 466 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

37 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I've been trying to eat less fat and sugar, so this would be a great alternative to pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect, good for my little one too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Butternut squash makes me so happy! I bet this would be good baked into a rustic tart too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to give this a try. Sounds like a yummy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good, all the spices. My kids will absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good, I'd eat it for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great recipe for a delicious finger food=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful, another one on my 'to do' list. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! I was just thinking that I needed to be on the lookout for some butternut squash, and now I KNOW I will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never would've thought! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that does sound desserty and delicious! mmmm!
    its that time of year. i love butternut squash

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Only 83 calories! I am going to make this yummy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, especially in the fall season, I really wish that I liked squash. All of these recipes are making me drool, and I can only imagine how delicious they would be if only I liked squash. XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummers, I wish I had some now so I could cook this up!

    I am enjoying your blog. Stop by and visit me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up at No Whine Wednesday. This is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--that looks and sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious. I love that its squash/pumpkin season :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks amazing, I have two butternut squash on my kitchen counter just waiting for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww yay I'm SO glad you liked it! This is one of my favorite butternut squash recipes. It is DEFINITELY like eating dessert...but without any guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that these would be so yummy! Very comforing type of finger food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! I love all the flavors from the spices with the sweet squash and sugar. Sounds like a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the nutrition stats on this one Debbi (but I will agree that peanut butter and chocolate go together just as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wanted you to know that I have a CSN $75 giveaway going on. If you are interested, drop by Comfy Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love butternut squash, this sounds delicious. Thanks. PS now following! You have great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a awesome idea!! Now with this I think I can finally get my kids to eat butternut squash! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look amazing!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks gorgeous:) i love this already.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debbi, This butternut squash looks amazing. We had a big butternut harvest, so I have been trying to use it as many ways as I can. I will try this wonderful recipe.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Debbi-I LOVE your food. Thanks for linking up and sharing such wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I admit I am not usually a big squash fan but even I could love this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow -that looks very yummy! It's squash season so I'm going to have to give this a try sometime soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very interesting!! I'm going to have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing. ~Prairie Story

    ReplyDelete
  33. All i have to say is that the hubs said the butternut squash was better than potatoes :) Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks like just the thing for us... no one is a squash fan in our house but with these spices... look out!

    ReplyDelete