Monday, October 4, 2010

Peach Browned Butter Shortbread Bars




I was looking for a simple dessert to take to a party.  I had a bunch of peaches so this was perfect.  Very simple and highly tasty.



Make sure to brown the butter in this.  It's amazing what a difference it can make.  You can really taste the browned butter so don't skip that step!




Peach Browned Butter Shortbread Bars Recipe
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup sugar, (200 grams)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp. cups all purpose flour, (359 grams)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, 2 sticks
1 large egg
2 peaches, pitted and thinly sliced

Brown your butter:  Melt butter in a small/medium saucepan over medium-low heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty.  Stir frequently, scraping up all the bits from the bottom as you do.  Pour into a bowl and set it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Butter a 9 x 13 in. pan or spray it with cooking spray.  In a bowl, stir together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt and spices with a whisk.  Use a pastry blender or a fork and blend the solidified brown butter and egg into the flour mixture.  It will be crumbly.  Pat 3/4 of the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing firmly.  Put the peach slices over the crumb base in a single layer.  Scatter remaining crumbs evenly over peaches and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, until top is slightly brown and you can see a little color around the edges.  Cool completely in  pan before cutting into squares. 

Total calories = 3916 calories
24 bars = 163 calories per bar

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. This does look good! I've had mixed success with browned butter - but you've inspired me to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love browned butter. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! This looks great! I'd give anything for a few bites for dessert tonight : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown butter really does add such great flavor to sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! I've been reading a lot about browned butter, and I think I need to try to make something that utilizes it. This sounds deliciuos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the kind of snack that I would keep taking small pieces until it was completely gone. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look great...i was surprised at the calorie count...not bad...unless you eat the entire pan, which i would maybe do ;) thank you for linking up to TNSC1

    ReplyDelete
  8. These will definitely have to be made at this house! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH! I love brown butter recipes. There is just something about it that seems to bring out such good flavor. This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh WOW debbi, I adore peaches. I think the last 5 recipes I made for the hop involved peaches! I am totally going to bookmark this and make it next year when peach season comes around again because our peaches are DONE and I am not going to suffer through a bad peach again! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love peach bars and brown butter makes them even more special and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking dessert. I am glad that it only takes 2 peaches since they aren't that great looking here and I wouldn't be able to find a dozen peaches if needed. I love how easy this is to throw together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have copied this recipe so I can make it one evening when I have guests to dinner. It sounds delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds lovely, and with the season of stone fruit still ahead of us down in Oz I can see these being made often in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound absolutely dreamy. Browned butter is good for the soul, I'm convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never made anything with peaches except cobbler, but this looks like a keeper recipe. YUM! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie you post the most interesting recipes. This is so unusual and I love the idea of browning the butter. We still have some peaches left, so I better try this one. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this one looks yum! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie, I love peaches. Need I say more other than thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The topping on this looks like heaven...

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Browned butter mmmmm! This peach dish just sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think my mom or gran would have ever dreamed of browning butter. They'd have thought it was ruined! But it really brings another dimension of flavor, doesn't it. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yum! That looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a yummy way to use your peaches. Thanks for sharing and linkin up for tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  26. just the words browned butter. mmmm. super sexy bars, Debbi :) Thanks so much for sharing them with the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete