Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Oven Fried Onion Rings




I can tell you where all the best onion rings are served.  I can tell you which ones are too greasy, too thick, too thin, too crumbly.  Everything.  I know onion rings. I love onion rings. 

I think I had made homemade onion rings many, many years ago from a packet of breading and was completely unimpressed. 

I've also had my share of frozen onion rights, some are okay, some are barely edible.

So I found this recipe for baked onion rings.  The breading sounded different than ones I've tried in the past. I knew they wouldn't be the same as deep fried onion rings but hey, I'm trying to eat a little healthy here, right? 
 


This wasn't an unbelievably healthy breading but I figured it would be a tasty breading.  It was.

I loved these!

One thing that is deceptive is how many onion rings you get from one large onion.  I thought,

"Only one onion?  That can't be right!".

Oh yes, it can. We didn't even use all of it. 

That might have been also because I had a hard time with the breading. The first pan of onion rings worked perfectly.  But by the time my breading got gooey with the wet mixture, it wouldn't stick to anything.  

I looked up the source of this recipe and it turns out she made some adjustments and she throws her crumbs in the food processor and makes them finer so they stick better and she no longer has the issue with it turning to goop.   I haven't tried this method but I certainly will next time. 

*****Would you like help cooking this years holiday meal?  Tricia from Once a Month Mom just came out with an incredible Holiday eCookbook.  She tells you what to do, how to do it easily and she even had the shopping list done for you!  She has it on sale for a fantastic price until November 1st so hurry and get yours! You can get a 40% discount with the code OAMM40 after you've put it on your cart.  I already bought it and LOVE it! Click the big link in the upper left hand corner of my blog to check it out! 




Oven Fried Onion Ring Recipe
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

1 - 2 large yellow onions, sliced into rings, save small pieces for something else.
1/2 cup flour, divided
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
Dash of chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 sleeve of saltine crackers (about 30), crushed
3 - 4 cups kettle cooked potato chips, crushed
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450.  Drizzle a couple of tbsp. olive oil on baking pans.  Bake for about 8 minutes or until oil is HOT but not smoking. 

While the baking sheets are in the oven prepare 3 bowls. 

Bowl 1: 1/4 cup flour.
Bowl 2: Egg, milk, 1/4 cup flour and spices.
Bowl 3: crushed potato chips and crushed saltines. 

Dip onion rings into bowl 1, then bowl 2, then bowl 3.  Set aside on a plate while waiting for your pans to heat in oven.  Repeat with each piece of onion. 

Remove baking sheets from the oven and tip to coat evenly with oil.  Place the onions on the hot baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes at 450, flipping halfway.  Serve immediately.

I didn't get a calorie count on these. I also didn't use all the ingredients in my bowls as my crumbs got goopy and I had to throw a lot away. 

She recommends that you process the crumb mixture in a food processor so they are finer and will stick better and hopefully won't get goopy.  I have yet to try this but it sounds like good advice!

More side dishes!

Sweet Potato Fries

Carrots with Maple Balsamic Browned Butter

Cheesy Butternut Squash Bake

This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina

19 comments:

  1. looks good minus the spicy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it wasn't so late at night I would make those right now. That is a great recipe and I can't wait to try it.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea!!! Love the less-sinfully version of onion rings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound great! I can't wait to give them a try. Would love for you to link it TDT Carnival. And I'd love to be added to you fav blog lists...you are always over at my site. :-)

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mum used to make the most fantastic onion rings, I have never been able to produce them like hers. I must try this recipe and see how I get on. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! These look great! Hungry-Girl has a similar recipe made with fiber one breading, but it never tastes quite right... I have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very glad you didn't do a calorie count on these! They sound so delicious though, I'm sure they are worth every single one! I do like the idea that they are baked as well, much better than having to deep fry them, which always seems like a hassle. And I love the spicing you have used :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love onion rings. Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The breading does sound good. I always wanted to make my own onion rings but I just seem to keep putting it off for some reason. These look like they have the perfect texture to them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so good. And they look so crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love onion rings too. The potato chip crumbs sound like they'd be perfect. I will certainly try these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you know how I feel about onions Debbi, but I have to say . . . they look delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hubby saw your post and got excited! We've never made onion rings before so we'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I'm going to try these out. My husband would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious especially with all those spices for flavor. I'm even happier because they're baked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for linking this recipe! I featured this recipe on Katie's Cucina today!!! Make sure you grab your feature button!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! I am going to have to try these!!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete