Saturday, October 30, 2010

German Sauerkraut Chocolate Cupcakes





Oh yes, I did!!

Joanne from Eats Well with Others announces that this month, for Regional Recipes, we're going to Germany. I'm good with that, so I start browsing for recipes.

That's when I saw it. 

Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake.  Really?!  Should I?!  Could I?!  Would I?!  Oh, yes.  I totally would.  They deserved it.

Who?  My family. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE my family dearly.  It's just their narrowminededness about food drives me crazy! (yes, I know, I invented a new word). I'm tired of having to give a list of ingredients before they taste something. 

Plus, sauerkraut has been kinda like a private joke in this family for a long, long time.  Long story short, my family is obsessed with Weird Al and he sings an 11 minute song called Albuquerque where he protests his hatred for sauerkraut and my kids have this song memorized.  Yes, they memorized an 11 minute song about sauerkraut. 

So I made them sauerkraut cupcakes.  Seriously, the stress from the week just vanished as I saw them gobble them up and literally fight over the last one. 

Should I have felt bad for enjoying this deceit THAT much?  Maybe.


The cupcakes were delicious.  Seriously tasty.  They were a bit crumbly but I think that was my fault as I accidentally melted the butter instead of just softening it, I think that changed the texture.

They were super chocolaty and one of the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever had.  I didn't eat mine with frosting, I really wanted to taste the cake and there was no hint of anything different.  Just chocolate.

Oh and yes, I did eventually tell the family what the secret ingredient was.  After the cupcakes were gone.  Oh, you should have seen their faces... 



Chocolate Sauerkraut Cupcakes Recipe
Recipe from Allrecipes

3/4 cup drained and chopped sauerkraut
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2/3 cup butter
1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 in pan or cupcake pan, as I did.  Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.  In a separate small bowl, combine buttermilk with sauerkraut and set aside. 

In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and beat in.  Add flour mixture alternately with sauerkraut mixture.  Beat only until blended. 

Pour batter into pan or 3/4 full with cupcakes.  Bake in 9 x 13 pan for about 45 minutes or about 25 minutes for cupcakes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool and frost. 
German chocolate frosting would have been perfect but I only had chocolate on hand. 

This is linked with:
Sundays at One Food Club from Cocina Diary
Not Baaad Sundays from Lamb Around
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative

22 comments:

  1. Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake.....Really?! They look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I could the recipe with some of my red cabbage leftover? I bet my husband would tell there's cabbage in them.
    THanks, Debbie.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet using sauerkraut was like making a vinegar cake combined with a zucchini cake. It's really too bad you didn't have a camera when you told your family what the ingredient was. I am sure it was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try these on my family. Ha-ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! They look great, nice and chocolaty! I've never heard of sauerkraut in cupcakes before, pretty unique! My neighbor brought over sauerkraut soup the other day. That was a new one to me also but really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. are they low cal ? I will have to try em...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've put canned pumpkin in my cupcakes, but never sauerkraut! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I am SO excited to see these! My daughter recently returned from spending almost a month in Germany and has been asking me to make her something "German." This is perfect because she's been eating sauerkraut like crazy since she came back and seriously, could I find a more German recipe? LOL! This is awesome, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In a million years I'd never think of sauerkraut with chocolate! But how cool that it tasted fantastic, I'd have to give them a try then. But not tell the secret ingredient :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever! This and the apple pizza from Tuesday are a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to give this a try! My husband loves weird combination's, so he will enjoy trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you wicked, deceitful woman - I love that you managed to pull this off and have your family scrambling for more :-) Who would have thought?!
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I have to admit that when I heard of this combination I was scratching my head but they look so beautiful...and chocolatie. :) Thanks for participating with Sundays at One. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL I bet they were shocked! I love recipes with hidden ingredients. These look so moist and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could you feel the texture of the saurkraut in the brownies? I would love to try these one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with sauerkraut but with chocolate???? Oh man! I know exactly which song you are talking about too! LOL! My husband is obsessed with Weird Al!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joanne's events are so cool and i am loving ur entry this time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debi you are baaaaad. I would have loved to see their reactions when you told them! I do the same thing to prove that people don't really dislike something they say they do--sneak it in. In this case though, if it tasted nothing like saurkraut, I guess it won't persuade them to eat it in its natural state. Very cool that you can't tell it's there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would of loved to see their faces! They probably looked similar to mine when I told them they ate curry! Love these - and I happen to have sauerkraut on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sauerkraut? Are you pulling my leg? I never would have thought to do this in a zillion years (and there is a recipe on my blog for muffins with hot dogs and spinach!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, I had to read that title twice just to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Sounds like a must try it (from your familys reactions) before you can actually squinch up your nose at it. Intriguing to say the least.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd never believe there was sauerkraut in those cupcakes. What a neat way to sneak more veggies into treats.

    ReplyDelete