Monday, October 25, 2010

Firehouse Chili with Corn Bread




Isn't chili just perfect fall food? 

I especially love cooking it in the slow cooker.  It's smell permeates the entire house and is so welcoming and comforting. 

Then, eating it is like warming from the inside out. 

Perfect fall food.


Firehouse Crock Pot Chili Recipe
Adapted from One Perfect Bite

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. stew meat
2 cans kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tbsp. butter
1 small can tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
2 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can beer
5 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups chicken broth (or water)

Brown ground turkey, place in crock pot.  Brown stew meat in butter with onion and bell pepper.  Put stew meat,onion and peppers in crockpot.  Add 1 can kidney beans, black beans, tomato paste, sauce, beer and all seasonings to slow cooker and mix well.  Add chicken broth.   Cook for about 7 - 8 hours on low.  About an hour before serving, add reserved can of kidney beans.

Total calories = 3180 calories
12 servings = 265 calories per serving

Served with Amish Corn Bread



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

28 comments:

  1. Chilie is one of my favourite dishes, Yum Yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cold weather food! I've never thought to make chili in the crockpot... I don't know why! I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge chili fan but I must make this for my hubby! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! We have a Halloween tradition in my family- CHILI NIGHT! It was an easy meal I guess for a house of kids running in and out from trick-o-treating! lol My mom STILL makes it....and I'm going over for a bowl! :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of anything with beer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debs. im hungry.
    lol.
    I hate myself for reading this becuase now i want corn bread dipped in meaty chili goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking about a huge pot of chili last night! As the weather turns, a bowl of chili and a side of cornbread is the most comforting thing for me. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! I still have not made my chili and was thinking it would be good for tonight. You read my mind. This sound delicious and a little different from what I normally make, which is exciting to me. Can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I love chili with cornbread! Sometimes I like to place a scoop of rice in the bottom of the bowl and then ladle the chili on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. as soon as the weather starts to cool I am ready for chilli love your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Now I'm really craving some good, spicy chili!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You said it so well! Warms you from the inside out! Delicious - especially with your Amish corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How am I only just finding you? This recipe looks delish - I can't wait to try it out! I'm really excited that your blog's recipes are all going to fit within my diet plan. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I have some awards for my awesome supporter! http://ahippowithaheadband.blogspot.com/2010/10/stylish-and-versatile.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, that looks good. I think we'll make some this week if the temperature ever drops below 60! Cornbread and i can't be friends right now -- i'm too tempted to eat it all. Will have to pass on that and just do the chili.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you say stew meat, can I assume that you mean beef stew meat?

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds great, thanks Debbi! How can you go wrong, 2 kinds of meat and beer, all in the same pan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. chilli and corn bread is just classic.. this dish looks so good. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks and sounds delicious...interesting with the added beer, what a hoot of a dish...it sure would be a winner in my house!Thanks for sharing a great idea!
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miz Debbi,
    I wanted to let you know that your blog is on my side bar now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds really delicious. Perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I giant puffy heart chili. It's one of those dishes that I have no memory of not eating ;-)

    It's so funny how many different recipes and ways to serve it that there are.

    Thanks for linking yours up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks so delicious...as do all your recipes. i am a huge fan of chili..but mine never tastes exactly like i want it to. i will have to give your a try. thank you for linking this great recipe up to tuesday night supper club

    ReplyDelete