Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chunky Cinnamon Red Hot Applesauce



We love to go apple picking.  We've gone the last few years but our favorite orchard was hit by hail and weren't open for picking this year. So this year we didn't go.  I've been picking up apples on sale like crazy. 

I've made a few batches of applesauce this year in the slow cooker.   My kids for the most part are purists and just like apples,  bit of sugar and cinnamon.



Me? I like it a bit different. 

I put Red Hots in there as a sweetener and it worked really well.  The apples I had were really tart so I ended up adding a bit of sugar. I don't like it overly sweet but not too tart either. 

The flavors worked well with this. 

If you only have a small crockpot, I recommend you halve the recipe. I have a 6 or 7 qt. crock pot so it fit the whole 5 lb. bag of apples fine. 



Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce Recipe

5 lbs. bag of apples, peeled and cut into chunks
6 tbsp. red hots
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. water or apple cider
2 tbsp. sugar (more or less depending on taste)

Combine everything in a crock pot (use a big one) and cook 4 hours on high or 7 - 8 hours on low until apples have softened and candy has dissolved.  Mash slightly, leaving chunks and serve. 

More snacks!

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Cinnamon Apples

This is linked with:
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around
This Weeks Cravings - Moms Crazy Cooking
Crockpot Wednesdays - Dining with Debbie

20 comments:

  1. Ya know, I tried making crock pot applesauce last year and maybe I didn't use enough apples because it wasn't that good. Kind of bitter. Maybe my pot is too big. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so strange, Debbi. XD But very creative!! :) PS - I just realized that I have been adding an "e" to your name all this time... at least, I think I have. o.O Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recipie but I don't think red hots are available here! I had to google them to see what they were :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red hot gives some beautiful grapefruit colour to the apple sauce. I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of my Home Ec class way back when. We made Red Hot Applesauce! So good! Love the color and the taste! Saving your recipe, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, total trip down memory lane Christina! My grandma used to take a can of apple pie filling, mix it with red hots and bake it until bubbly.

    It was my brothers favorite thing she made and I haven't thought about it for years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love applesauce spiced with red hots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm.... love applesauce! Made some a few weeks ago and the whole house smelled amazing. I didn't even consider adding red hots. Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is genius! Who would a thought to put red-hots in applesauce? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fabulous idea! my hubs was talking about canned apples that were really red and cinnamony that his great aunt used to make. i'm thinking this might actually satisfy his memory...red hots...you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can never get enough cinnamon. This would be so tasty and that red color is very pretty too. I'll be hosting a CSN giveaway next week Monday, so be sure to check back then to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice ideas. .I am glad this was such a hit! :) It definitely had a different taste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huh, vanilla in the apple sauce, wouldnt have thought of that but that is a great play I bet. Will have to find out wont I? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. new ideas...looks delicious! happy weekend! thanks for dropping by at my WW entry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun and creative idea!! Cinnamon and apple go together so well... I bet this was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a great recipe and super fun. I love the Red Hots. Who doesn't love red hots? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a million for linking up to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love red hots and apples, so I think I would love this too! :)

    Thanks for linking to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. BTW, I'm not hung up on rules. You can post whatever strikes your fancy!

    ReplyDelete