Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chile Verde in the Slow Cooker





This week is BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient: Chiles!  Biz from My Bizzy Kitchen is is hosting this week and she's got all the rules and stuff on her blog. 

This is a great slow cooker meal. It makes a lot of food with many possibilities.  My husband put his on a bakes potato, I put mine on a tortilla as a wrap.  The next day, I put it on lettuce as a salad.

The once a month mom free eCookbook went to Family, Scrapbooks and Coffee.  The rest of you can click on the link on the top of my blog and buy it!  You'll love it! You can use the code OAMM40 to get 40% off until the end of the month.    



Chile Verde Recipe
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

3 1/2 lbs. chuck roast
1 green pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 can chiles, (4 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)

10 tomatillos, diced (peel off outer wrapper)
4 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. sage
1 tbsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Trim any visible fat from the meat and chuck it into the crockpot.  Add diced peppers, onion and tomatillos.  Pour in chiles and tomatoes.  Add spices. Stir a bit to get spices all over the meat.  Add chopped cilantro over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or until meat shreds easily. 

OR

Let meat and everything else cook on low overnight, then shred and keep in the crock pot to let the flavors come together more.  This way you can taste and season accordingly. 

This is linked with:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
What's Cookin' in the Kitchen at Katie's Cucina
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Fabulous Friday Finds at Frou Frou Decor
Wholesome Whole Foods at Health Food Lover
Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

29 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there sweet Debbie!! This looks amazing and I have to give it a try! Such a great Fall food! I always look forward to your link ups and thank you for joining in at the party! I know what you mean about the treats..ugh...it's hard..I have to limit myself ha!! Hugs to you and happy weekend sweetie!
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love Mexican food and I think chili verde is one of my favorites. Yours looks and sounds fabulous. I think I could eat mexican every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you would ever like new recipes or would like to be featured than please come on over to our blog and please check us out! We also have a give away going on right now and a apron going up tomorrow!! yah. thanks for letting me stop by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sort of recipe tha we would love. I have made a note of it so it will not be long before I make it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz, güzel ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dish for family gatherings, thanks Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds amazing.....my stomach is growling even as I read the recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome! And everything is better warm & snuggled in a tortilla!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great!

    I just started following you this week and I've already printed out so many of your recipes to try and some are on the menu for next week! Do you have a cookbook out, or are you planning on publishing one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe, thanks for sharing, I use my slow cooker all the time, and always on the hunt for something new. I put a roast in and it lasts all week as there are only the two of us, we do burritos, with the leftover and tacos. Well done, tami from the high street cottage

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would make a great weekend meal! Dinner time here and my stomach is growling loud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are tomatillos hard to work with? I always look at them but they look daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like I would like this--I love anything in a tortilla:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another winner! Mexican in a crock pot is easily a hit around here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love me some Mexican food and this looks outstanding! Crock pot recipes are such a time saver too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your submission Debbi - that looks delicious!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Debbi. Your recipes look fabulous, and I'm going to try the chile verdi in the crockpot. Crockpot recipes are a big hit in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I were just talking today about how we don't really like meat in the slow cooker. But this looks so amazing that I'm willing to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my kind of recipe - it looks and sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummmmm, I like that this has tomatillos too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmmm this looks delish! Thank you for linking this up at Katie's Cucina!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the ingredients will guarantee it has a great flavor as well. Thanks, I cannot wait to make this.=)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cumin & Sage go so well together.
    Nice Blog, Have a Great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saw this over on Tidy Mom! Cannot wait to try this!!! So delish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mmm... looks so good.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for participating in Whats Cookin in the Kitchen. I featured this recipe today! Please make sure you grab your featured button and make sure you come back next Friday to link up some more projects!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Debbi! It's so funny as soon as I saw the picture I thought of putting that on a baked potato and then I read that's what your hubby does! I looks amazing. I've never used ground chuck in my crock pot before, I want to try that.

    Great BSI entry!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow.. I want to make this today! But will do it this weekend.. thanks for sharing these wonderful low calorie recipes..

    ReplyDelete