Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apple Onion Pizza




I was afraid when I decided to make this pizza, that I would be the only one eating it.  Well, my brother loved it too and we've since made it again for friends.

It was a hit.  Everyone loved it. Well, the kids thought it was strange but well, kids ARE strange. 


I used the same crust recipe that I used for my Buffalo Ranch Chicken pizza.  I'm really loving this crust! 


What also surprised me about this pizza is how heavy it is. Like taking it out of the oven takes some muscles.  I guess putting several pounds of caramelized onions gets really heavy! 

The more the better though!  It was delicious!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for an eCookbook!


Caramelized Onion and Apple Pizza Recipe

No rise wheat crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet of yeast or 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup very warm water


Mix the warm water and yeast and let sit for a couple of minutes.  Add the flour and salt and mix. Add more flour until it isn't gooey sticky and is easy to spread or roll.  Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and spread your crust on it.  Prebake for about 5 - 7 minutes at 400.  Add pizza toppings.

Pizza:
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 apple, thinly sliced
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

Place oil in pan, add in onions and cook until soft and brown, turning as needed, about 20 - 25 minutes.

Make and bake crust as directed above.  Spread crust with bbq sauce, add onions, cheese and apples.  Cook for another 10 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted. 

Total calories = 1901 calories
4 servings = 475 calories per serving
Apple Onion Pizza + 3 Buffalo Chickpea Patties + ranch = 769 calorie dinner

Check out my recipe for the Buffalo Chickpea Patties on Our Krazy Kitchen!

This is linked with:
What's on the Menu Wednesday at Dining with Debbie
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner, Mom?





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. looks good... where are the mushrooms... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic. A few of my favorite things right there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that sounds good. It does sound strange but in a very good way. It is definitely a head turner. I have bookmarked this for one of our vegetarian night dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi - this looks great! I'd love to try one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That whole pizza out of the oven is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. You crack me up, lady.
    2. That does look really good. and different. And I like those things. When I' post-vegan I'll totally try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting combo! You caught my attention right away. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting recipe! I need to start making homemade pizza again...I've never made a home crust before though...it intimidates me! :)

    Heading to bed now...gonna check out your buffalo chickpea patties in the morning! MMmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have dreamt of using apple in a pizza but I will certianly give it a go. It really sounds interesting. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. After my apple sausage pizza I totally want to make tons of pizza with apple on it! This will definitely be next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first thought was like yours... I may be the only one that would eat it =) But I really want to try it... think I will make it when all the kids are here for a meal. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds a little weird, but I can see why you like it! I'd love to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have never thought to put this combination together. Sometimes the strangest mix of ingredients results in a wonderful palate pleasing dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound a little trippy but I can see how the flavors would compliment one another. I'm a big fan of hot/sweet or sweet/savory. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a creative way to make pizza! Apples and onions are a killer combination, and I never would have thought to use them on pizza myself. That's why I love the blogging world . . . =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to admit that sounds pretty strange, but I am so intrigue, I will have to try. Nothing you've shares has ever gone wrong before, so I'm sure in the end I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that sounds interesting, something my hubby would definitely go for! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. see i made this same pizza last yr and my mom and husband thought i was nuts!! but i wanted to make a pizza and all i had were onions, apples, and cheese. they were BLOWN away that it was actually good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUM! I am excited to try out that crust recipe! I posted HEALTHY cookies on my blog today (thought you might enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that does look yum, I'm off to click the link for the buffalo chicken one now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apples and onions are great flavor pairing. There no reason why it cannot be enjoyed as a pizza. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this does sounds like a lovely combo... i will make this for my hubby soon. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, this is something I would never ever ever think of! And despite how "weird" it sounds - I bet it IS delicious! I love the combination of apples and carmalized onions, I use it sometimes in gravies.

    Thanks so much for always sharing with Friday Firsts, mentioning me, and displaying my button! It means so much to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the second unique pizza recipe I've seen in two weeks. I certainly wouldn't have come up with this combo on my own but I can see how it would be delicious. Thanks for sharing Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love different and unique pizzas. This sounds delicious to me. I've never had apples on pizza before. Thank you so much for sharing this with Cookbook Sundays Debbi and enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds fantastic, Debbie. It might be considered unusual but non-foodies but foodies are so much smarter when it comes to different combinations. I hope I can make this soon.
    Thanks for linking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what an interesting combination of flavours - looks good.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is perfect for the new linky, Please Help me. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love this recipe and I am only sorry, I have not gotten to make it, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for linking up to This Weeks Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great combination of flavors - I will have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete